Menu

more math questions!

anmom

Ds will be finishing MM 5 within the next 6 months and I am trying to plan where to go from there. I have a lot going through my head and need some clarification and direction from those who have been there! There is obviously the option of going ahead with MM 6, but I've read so many threads about how it isn't needed. I like the looks of the jousting armadillos and also aops. I was considering maybe MM5, then JA, then AOPS prealg, then alg. Does that make sense? Too much? He is young so I thought the extra prealg might be a good idea.

Thoughts?

I am in the same boat. My just turned 8 DD started MM5a and she is devouring it. I got 4A beast academy to keep her stalling! Do you use new version or old version of MM? If you use new version, aren't some topics covered in MM6? From what I read, if you use older version it should not be an issue. Maybe more experienced moms will chime in and confirm.

I did something similar with my son and it totally backfired.  If you are planning on AoPS, a gentler introduction is not necessarily a good idea.  It sets up the idea that the math will come easily.  My son got so used to the straight forward approach and the lack of thinking, that he really struggled when we did the second round with AoPS.  The need for two rounds of PreA was not a bad idea.  He needed to really be solid on his foundational concepts.  However, I wish that I started with AoPS and branched out from there.

AoPS is designed to a program where the student must think, find their own process, and then shift and change that process as needed based on their understanding of concepts.  Since most other programs to not teach the concepts, merely how to do problems, it is very much not a good fit to start with another program and then try AoPS.  In retrospect, I would have used the other programs as extra practice so that PreA is was two year long course, rather than doing one year of lighter work before AoPS.

Ages 8 or 9 might be young in public school for PreA, but there are plenty of kids on here who are starting at that age.  My son started PreA in 3rd grade.  It is not a big deal, just not "normal."

I did something similar with my son and it totally backfired.  If you are planning on AoPS, a gentler introduction is not necessarily a good idea.  It sets up the idea that the math will come easily.  My son got so used to the straight forward approach and the lack of thinking, that he really struggled when we did the second round with AoPS.  The need for two rounds of PreA was not a bad idea.  He needed to really be solid on his foundational concepts.  However, I wish that I started with AoPS and branched out from there.

AoPS is designed to a program where the student must think, find their own process, and then shift and change that process as needed based on their understanding of concepts.  Since most other programs to not teach the concepts, merely how to do problems, it is very much not a good fit to start with another program and then try AoPS.  In retrospect, I would have used the other programs as extra practice so that PreA is was two year long course, rather than doing one year of lighter work before AoPS.

Jousting Armadillos does not do the bolded above. The student is required to discover the concept themselves, and it is as far from a traditional prealgebra book as you can get...in fact, my daughter wasn't sure she was doing math for the first few lessons (the ones on inductive/deductive reasoning). Several of us here have used JA before/with AOPS Prealgebra, and they complement each other very well since they both use the discovery method to teach the concepts. They do not approach the concepts exactly the same, though; JA often begins with a game or a (ridiculous) word problem, which really appeals to the younger crowd.

My DD did LOF PA at age 7 and then AOPS PA at age 8, and I'm glad I gave her that extra time. She was ready, conceptually, for PA, but she needed practice working from a textbook in a separate notebook, and LOF had the "cute" that she needed. It didn't hurt any that she loves biology, so that was a lot of fun for her as well (the economics sparked a lot of discussions, but it's definitely a bit on the extreme side view-wise).