Menu

Is Logic of English Essentials for struggling readers?

My dd, age 8 and entering 3rd grade, is having some difficulties with spelling. Also a standardized test indicated that she may not have all the phonics skills she needs, although she reads on an 8th grade level (?) . I think that she basically taught herself how to read and although I told her the rules, and we went through OPGTR, I am certain she doesn't know them. I have been looking at LOE for both her and for my Ker--hoping that Essentials would provide spelling, phonics, grammar, etc. for the oldest and Foundations for the youngest, but then I see that Essentials is for struggling readers. She's certainly not struggling. Any ideas?

I think its for (older perhaps) struggling readers and for (younger perhaps) non-struggling readers. I used it for my two younger kids, one was 8 when we started, and pretty much on target in terms of reading skills. My other daughter was 11 when we started, and an ok reader, but perhaps a bit behind and really struggling with spelling - it was perfect for both kids. Both different ages, very different needs, totally different goals going into it, and LoE met both of them where they were, even though they were both at very different places. Both of them have become stronger readers, spellers, and grammarians. imo, its a very good program....It has optional practices and exercises that you can do if they need it...but if they really are doing fine, we skip those. If your goals are spelling, phonics, and  grammar, I think LoE could be perfect for you.

Here is a faster plan: work through this with an emphasis on spelling, read one or two words and spell a few of each type, focusing on the associated spelling and phonics rules, it should only take an hour or two to cover it all at that rate.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/WellTaughtPhonicsStudent.html

That certainly sounds faster! She can read most of that, I believe, but spelling is another matter.

That certainly sounds faster! She can read most of that, I believe, but spelling is another matter.

I would do this as a yearly review for the next few years, that is what I did with my daughter. She learned to read young but the spelling rules are better when they are older. I told them to her in K and 1st grade but they went in one ear and out the other, they started sticking once she was older.

I have come to believe that applying spelling rules is a logic stage skill, at LEAST.

In the grammar stage, they can parrot them, but not apply them.

Gifted children sometimes hit the logic stage early, and LD students sometimes hit the logic stage later, so I don't think of teaching spelling rules at an age, but a stage instead. Until I see a student functioning at a logic stage level, I refuse to waste my time teaching rules.

Yes, some of us that are PERSONALLY at the rhetoric level find many of the popular spelling curricula fascinating, and then go on to wish we had them when we were grammar stage. But would we have liked them THEN? I'm not so sure. I'm backing up on the idea of inflicting curricula that I like NOW on beginners that are not at the stage I'm at.

I used Essentials for my 11yo this year to help with his spelling. It helped but he didn't see the need to learn it. I'm going to use it this summer. Now that he's been in school and sees what he's expected to spell I think he will be more willing.

I use Foundations with my 6yo and he knows all the phonograms and spelling rules (that have been introduced). 

I have come to believe that applying spelling rules is a logic stage skill, at LEAST.

In the grammar stage, they can parrot them, but not apply them.

Gifted children sometimes hit the logic stage early, and LD students sometimes hit the logic stage later, so I don't think of teaching spelling rules at an age, but a stage instead. Until I see a student functioning at a logic stage level, I refuse to waste my time teaching rules.

My 6 yo knows and applies all the spelling rules he's been taught so far with LOE. When he sees a word with a silent E he can tell you why there is a silent E. (All 6 reasons.). He knows which phonograms make the same sounds. His spelling isn't alway perfect, but you can ask a simple question and he will figure out his error. I love LOE.