Menu

Math for A Child Who Hates Math?

faiths13

I have been using Singapore math with my 6 year old. We have only done the K math and half of 1A. He really hates math now, even though he does well at it. So I am not sure if I should continue on with it or not. I decided to try Teaching Textbooks with my 13 yr old because I am really awful with math. I mean really bad. So I am thinking if it works out I will have my other two move into TT when they get to be at Level 3. I also have a son who I am going to just start working on math with. I would love to be able to use the same "brand" math for my two youngest, even though I know they are on different levels. Any suggestions?

I second Lisa. If you aren't sure why he hates it, I would try to probe more. My kids and I, are mathy, but I switched curriculums bc DD found it repetitive and I found she wasn't absorbing the new foundation well, which was holding us back. I would ask: do you hate the worksheets or the lessons? Do you like math games? Do you like learning the same concept or lots of topics at once? Hope that helps

Often children hate something that is a struggle and uncomfortable. There are so many little pieces that go into learning something, that even as adults we cannot identify. I suffered some brain damage a couple years back, and all of a sudden my brain didn't work the same way. I wasn't as simple as remediating forgotten algorythms. It was so much deeper than that.

Some things I had to just WAIT for my brain to heal in GENERAL, just like some children need to wait to develop more.

I don't push myself to the max in my remediation. If waiting is the most efficent method, I go outside and do some nature study and do some art and read some good literature and just enjoy life. before trying again at something that is so hard I don't enjoy it.

I'm currently working my way through Saxon Algebra 1, and a couple years ago I couldn't even do long division. Pushing myself wouldn't have gotten me here any quicker; it just would have been more work.

I'm not sure if you think any of this applies, but I apply my experiences to my tutoring, and deal with learning disabilities a bit differently now. I'm quicker to do art and knitting and nature study with students, and look at their eating and sleeping habits and how much time they spend on computers and with other media. I spend more time reading aloud to them, or encouraging reading along to professionally read audio books, and time spend on handwriting and even math copywork from Blumenfeld's How to Tutor.

I'd go with MUS if he likes manipulatives, that's exactly what they work with there & starting at the beginning would mean no issue trying to place him. Simply snag Alpha & move forward. You could get books ahead of your children to "learn" too.. Just a thought. It works for the visual need, the spoken word, & the hands on approach. :)

My ds can't stand Singapore math (despite me really wanting it to work). The pages are too busy for him. He really likes Miquon and c-rods. He also loves playing math games. His favourite is Knockout (from Rainbow Resource).

As Ravin mentioned, Life of Fred might help.  See if you can check out Life of Fred from your local library (hopefully you have one of those :) ).  Some kids really like Life of Fred and this wouldn't cost you anything.

MUS might work really well since he likes manipulatives but if he is already using those with Singapore this may not help much.  

I agree with other posters, until you know WHY he hates math it may be hard to determine how to address the issue.  Have you looked at this thread?  Much may be too advanced yet, but some you may find interesting.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/499692-looking-to-do-some-relaxed-math-here-want-to-share-ideas/

My 6yo and I really enjoy Miquon. It requires more teacher prep because it's not always obvious what the goal of each lab sheet is. The c-rods are fun and DS likes that there isn't usually a whole lot of writing involved. (It depends on the worksheet). 

I have been using Singapore math with my 6 year old. We have only done the K math and half of 1A. He really hates math now, even though he does well at it. So I am not sure if I should continue on with it or not. I decided to try Teaching Textbooks with my 13 yr old because I am really awful with math. I mean really bad. So I am thinking if it works out I will have my other two move into TT when they get to be at Level 3. I also have a son who I am going to just start working on math with. I would love to be able to use the same "brand" math for my two youngest, even though I know they are on different levels. Any suggestions?

I would drop Singapore in a heartbeat if my 6yo child "hated" it. I would drop *anything*, even Spalding, if my 6yo dc hated it. :-)

My fall-back is Rod and Staff. :-)

Some kids just don't like math. I could buy and try to use every math program out there, and I seriously doubt my oldest will like any of them. He's good at it, so I've just accepted that math is a get 'er done subject here. But he liked what he was doing when he was young.

But I think when a child that young is not liking something, then maybe they are not ready for it, or it needs to be presented in another way. I find SM a bit "much" for typical kids. It really does push them into difficult stuff quickly, while at the same time not having enough variety.

I'm nervous about my plans to move my 6 year old into SM. We'll see.

Miquon with c-rods is generally enjoyed. The videos at Education Unboxed are fun. You may want to back up from SM's intensity a bit.

Math U See and RightStart are two to look at.  We moved to RightStart during Singapore 1 because it didn't expect the conceptual leaps of the student that Singapore did.  My son loved the manipulatives and the fact that there was very little written work required.

You can also deal with hating workbooks by having your student do the problems orally with you writing or you can have him do them on a small whiteboard instead.

I should mention that after making it most of the way through RightStart B, we switched back to Singapore (2A) and it went much better.

Honestly, my daughter didn't like most math curricula when she was that age either. She had a very high-level of conceptual understanding but her processing speed slowed her down and operational practice pushed her over the edge. I completely backed off and did only living math for a full year, and then Beast Academy came out, and it was as if someone finally created a curricula for her. We have since found lots of ways to supplement and now that she's older she will tolerate Singapore a bit more, but BA is what really resonates with her. 

So, in her case, she's definitely a math kid in terms of conceptual understanding, but she gets bored and frustrated with practice so I've had to find the approach. She very much loves manipulatives too!

Personally, I'd just get a huge bucket of c-rods and go through Miquon and Education Unboxed and sprinkle in lots of living math until he's ready to try BA.

McRuffy is colorful with lots of manipulatives & has short lessons.

Right Start uses lots of manipulatives and encourages games. It is very hands-on for teacher-mom - and you'll learn as you go.

You could use either with your two youngest.