Menu

What Magazine(s) Do You Subscribe To?

Hunter's Moon

Guest inoubliable

None. Most of them are more advertising than "news" or "reports". And most things you can find out just by going to a magazine's website. I do browse NatGeo in doctors' offices, though. 

I get several of the "pretty pictures" magazines from my mom such as Country Living, Better Homes and Gardens, Good Housekeeping, etc. The one that gets consistently read around here is World Magazine, a news magazine from a Christian perspective. It is biweekly.

I have moved to getting magazines almost exclusively in digital format on my iPad.  It's easier, and I don't have a huge stack of magazines to get rid of later.  As to what I get....

Mental Floss, Better Homes & Gardens, Midwest Living, Prevention... seems like there's a couple others I'm leaving out.

Our library has a table on which people put magazines they've finished. I haven't bought a magazine for years. Sure, sometimes I pick up an Oprah from 2002, but more often than not, I get current issues that are still being sold in stores. Of course, thanks to that other thread, I'm now convinced they're infested with bedbugs, so that kind of takes some of the fun out of it.

My son gets Games Magazine. 

I love magazines!

National Geographic

Smithsonian

Sky and Telescope

Good Housekeeping

Woman's Day

Redbook

Better Homes and Gardens

Time

Entertainment Weekly

Scientific American

Artist

Living Bird

The Economist

The Economist

Atlantic Monthly

National Geographic

Time (total fluff these days but oldest DD likes to read it)

Elle

Vegetarian Times (though we're "flexitarians" and do eat some poultry, fish, and the very occasional bit of red meat)

There used to be a good magazine devoted to biomedical treatment of autism, but it seems to have gone on hiatus.

I don't subscribe to magazines; I check the out from the library.

The ones our family members most enjoy:

Cooking Light

Birds and Blooms

Scientific American

Popular Science

Smithsonian

Hot Rods

Country Living

National Geographic

Handyman

Real Simple

I need to investigate this Mental Floss; I don't think I've ever seen it.

My list changes a lot as subscriptions expire and/or I try new ones, but I'm mostly into cooking, health/well being and home type mags.  Currently I receive Food & Wine and Cooking Light, but in the past I've gotten Early American Homes, Country Living, Real Simple, Martha Stewart Living, This Old House, Clean Living and Food Network.  I'm thinking about getting Dr. Oz's new mag, Good Life, as well as The Week, and I did pick up a copy of Mental Floss at my Uncle/Aunt's house a few months ago, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.  I think I'll check it out tonight as it looked interesting!

At the moment, I don't subscribe to anything. Every few years, I sign up for a year or two of Smithsonian, which I enjoy. And I occasionally pick up Mental Floss from a newsstand or bookstore when I'm in the mood for something light to peruse. 

Edited to add: My husband has a subscription to Popular Science, and I do page through that occasionally.

Because they were free with expiring airline miles: Martha Stewart, Time, Sunset

Because they were gifts: Bon Appetit, National Geographic Kids

The only one I pay for: National Geographic. I occasionally buy Cooks Illustrated.

a church magazine only. 

I used to subscribe to real simple and better homes and gardens. I just dont' have time to read them.  real simple has some great organization tips (e.g. empty Kleenex box to store plastic sacks I use as waste can liners in the bathrooms.), but I can also go to their website for free.

Home Education Magazine

Another homeschooling magazine (statewide group)

Vegetarian Times

Mother Earth News

Ranger Rick, Jr.

Spider

Ask

Apple Seeds

All of those are print.

Popular Science (ds)

National Geographic (both ds & I)

Smithsonian (ds)

Time (ds)

Weather Wise (ds - free with membership)

Sports Illustrated for Kids (ds)

Yoga Journal (me)

The Humanist (me)

The Shape of Enrichment (me)

We used airline miles like an above poster and get

Time

Real Simple

Health

And my mil gives me Country Woman for a present every Christmas.

I also get Homeschooling Today (I think it's that one--not sure) and the free HEAV one (can't recall the name).

Dh gets Biblical Archeology.

Used to get NatGeo but I found I wasn't reading it as often. Love the pics, though.

None, because I have a Problem. I can't seem to get rid of magazines without worrying that I might want something in them. And I hate ripping stuff out, then donating them bc I hate reading a magazine myself with stuff ripped out. And I feel guilty recycling them instead of donating them. So it is a Big Gerbil Wheel of Crazy. It is better that they Stay Out.

I do get some from the library. Most cooking, homemaking, entertainment and "women's" magazines bc I like to browse while watching TV. I don't like anything that requires a lot of attention. :lol: I'd actually love to be able to read, watch TV and listen to the radio at the same time. I can only do that with sports on TV bc I turn down the sound.

State homeschool bulletin.  It's quarterly.

Backpacker

Outside

RCI travel magazine

American Girl(dd)

USA Gymastics(dd)

Lego Magazine(ds)

Quilting magazine shows up but I haven't paid for it....it won't stop coming!  Even when we move!

Apparently I got a free subscription to Glamour with my last Lands End order.....but I think it won't forward from the old address after this month.  

I also get the MP Classical Teacher bulletin quarterly.  

And tons of clothing catalogs.  

A lot!

National Geographic-my paternal grandfather has had this sent to me since I was 16 or so.

Cook's Illustrated

Cook's Country

The Atlantic

The New Yorker

Kiwi (not real impressed)

I am a member at a bookstore call Books-A-Million. Every time I go in they offer me two months free of a selection of magazines. Often I will pick some and get them for a year instead of the two months. I have gotten Cooking Light, Food and Wine, Real Simple, Better Homes and Gardens, Cosmo, and probably some others too (not all at once!).

I occasionally buy Food Network, Rachel Ray, Better Homes and Garden special interest like canning or mexican food, Woman's Home Journal, Time.

DH gets a couple different hunting mags and NRA sends some also.

Kids get:

NatGeo Kid and Little Kids

Highlights and High Five (mil sends these)

Click

Ask

Wow! This is a lot! Lol! I do usually get through mine, The New Yorker is the only one that tends to pile up.