Menu

Bird Models/Figures kit?

Ok, this seems slightly ridiculous... but I've gone on a search for a set of bird models/figures and can't seem to find any anywhere!  Sometimes this happens to me... I'll think of something in my head that I figure so many people would want only to find it doesn't exist... :)  We're looking at birds this next term and I really wanted at least 10 or so different types to look at and hold.  I had fantasies about a set of ostheimer-ish wood painted birds that came in a kit and somehow didn't cost very much... hmmm....  

My back-up plan is laminated cards.... Any favorite ones?  

And on a complete tangent... who has a laminator and do you love it?  

Hmm. That sounds wonderful. Why don't you get on it? I'll buy. :)

Not what you want, but it's something.

DD has both the exotic and backyard bird Toobs, which she adores.

Perhaps a good bird identification book? DD has this one, which she likes and uses often. It's age-appropriate.

51F3%2B%2BswYyL._AA160_.jpg

I have a North American birds field guide, which she also uses often. A backyard birds one too. You could buy a book stand to keep them open and upright when drawing, etc. I have a cookbook stand that we use.

You might enjoy this free coloring book (more like coloring worksheet book) put out by Cornell.

There are also some very nice apps available. DD likes playing their songs, sounds, etc.

Cool - thanks!  I thought of the toobs... we have one great toy story an hour away that we go to in the city..  I'll check there when I can...

We're doing a whole bird semester... we have a good guide, and a tape to identify songs...  But my oldest is such a tactile/montessori-ish kid...  It really helps right now to have some kind of manipulative or 3-D object... Probably partly cause then he can play with them... haha! I don't know... maybe I'm just a nerd that wanted cute little bird figures to sit on the bookshelf in front of my books... haha!  Thanks for the coloring book suggestion... I'll get that!

My DD is very tactile too. We have tons of Toobs that she plays with often. She sets up habitats for them and has a good ole time.

Do you have a Hobby Lobby close? They have a very good selection of Toobs. You can print 40% off coupons from their Web site and save. Michael's has a much more limited selection. No bird Toobs at ours, I don't think, though.

DD always wants the Audubon plush birds when she sees them (they play their songs when pushed), but I've resisted thus far. We have enough plush.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=audubon+plush+bird&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aaudubon+plush+bird

Cool - thanks!  I thougth of the toobs... we have one great toy story an hour away that we go to in the city..  I'll check there when I can...

We're doing a whole bird semester... we have a good guide, and a tape to identify songs...  But my oldest is such a tactile/montessori-ish kid...  It really helps right now to have some kind of manipulative or 3-D object... Probably partly cause then he can play with them... haha! I don't know... maybe I'm just a nerd that wanted cute little bird figures to sit on the bookshelf in front of my books... haha!  Thanks for the coloring book suggestion... I'll get that!

As a previous poster said, the Audubon Society puts out a series of plush birds that are properly colored and make the corresponding birdcall when you squeeze them. My kids have a few and love them. They can easily identify those birdcalls when we are outside, even when they can't see the birds, so they have been a great educational tool.

Beletsky's Bird Songs is a good book. And if you haven't explored the Cornell Ornithology website yet, it is a treasure trove for birding. You can use your Google skills and find various different Audubon art cards, posters, books etc. 

My oldest ds had one of the plushies, a mallard, but I felt it lost it's sound too quickly. And there's no way to get into them to replace batteries. Maybe others had better experiences, but I was disappointed.