Menu

Math advice regarding Singapore WB vs IP

My 6 year old son used to like Singapore and still does...sort of.  We're in 2B.  We also use CWP. He doesn't care for the CWP because he says "They try to trick me." so I know that's good for him because he is one that wants to be able to zoom through everything.  

I started skipping problems because in the wb there was too much repetition for him, even though I'm a bit nervous about him having holes or forgetting.  I need to get over that because he has an excellent memory.  hehe  He's been complaining about math for the last few weeks.  When I asked him why, he said he'd rather play Lego.   :) Last week, I went ahead and brought out Singapore IP, found where it seemed to be in relation to the TB/WB and we did that for a week.  

This morning I brought out the TB/WB and he did it a bit grudgingly.  He then said "Mom, I like doing the Practice one more than the regular one."  When I asked him why he said "They're harder for me to do".  So part of me was  :hurray: , but a bigger part of me is  :confused1:  I have a feeling I've still been going WAY too slow for him for awhile now...just trying not to get down on myself about that.

I don't think I'm comfortable just having him go through the IP.  Has anyone had success going through the TB, IP and CWP...leave out the WB completely or would he be missing something?  I do have Beast waiting in the wings and I think he's going to love that, but I don't want him to continue feeling negative about math in the meantime.  Thoughts?

Brenda

I mostly had DD do the IP instead of the WB, except for stuff she wanted to do (lots of "cute" in the WB in the lower grades, not so much in the IP) or where she needed extra practice before going to the IP, or, (Since we did New Primary Maths, rather than Standards) the couple of times there was  topic in New Primary Maths that wasn't in the IP since it was correlated with the US edition. I expect I could have gotten by without the WB.

We do US Edition, but yes, we do the TB, IP, and try to do the CWP (not always time--probably summer review). I think if we did the CWP a grade level back, it wouldn't be so time consuming. Using the IP stopped a lot of whining here. The IP has deepened my son's confidence in his math abilities by leaps and bounds.

Thank you Crimson!  You triggered a memory about there being a long thread awhile back about this, but I didn't read it all because I wasn't in that "boat" yet.  :)  Searching for "IP" isn't allowed because it's too short and "Singapore" brings up a LOAD of threads.  I'll see if I can find it searching for "Intensive Practice" as I'd love to read through it.

I wouldn't even dream of it for my DD (his twin) because she is happily going through MM and needs a more step-by-step approach and more repetition, but my DS is just a whole different story with math.

We have used Primary Math for 10 years here... since my oldest was 5.  

For my current 8 y.o. -- we were using the textbook, workbook, intensive practice, and challenging word problems books.  The repetition was way over the top too much for him.  A few months ago I gathered the courage to drop the workbook and he's much happier.  Still understanding/remembering all the skills he's learned, so I know he didn't need the extra repetition.  

We also added Beast Academy.  He LOVES it.  Sometimes he'll ask to do it every day (in addition to the Singapore).  Other days we work only on Beast -- sometimes for more than an hour.  If I asked him to choose between  the programs, he'd choose Beast.  (And you know that you have a good curriculum when you find a child pouring over the textbook/fiddling with the practice book *in his free time.*)

IP only here.  The main problem is the lack of cute factor mentioned above.  That plus the simple problems at the front of each unit are written too close together so it is hard for little hands to write in answers.  Finally, my younger son was very motivated by finishing a lesson, and the IP is not broken into daily lessons.  He  preferred the WB for that reason

Ruth in NZ

Bill (SpyCar) would advise against it, but plenty of folks with bright kids do exactly that- TB + IP + CWP. Especially if you're planning on adding in BA later on.

Does anyone know where Bill/Spycar had got to? I was thinking of posting something very provocotive the other day to see if he popped up but I think he isn't here.

I don't think Singapore recommends doing them a year behind, but it is a common practice.

I would describe the Intensive Practice books as expanding on the concept you learn in the TB. They look at it more in-depth and from different angles. It's harder than the TB. It also has some word problems on the level of the CWP. The workbook strikes me as being easier than the TB. If your child is doing well with the TB, I would do the IP on level. If it's too hard, you could always use the IP as much as you can and leave the harder problems as a review later. We don't finish every problem in the IP, but we do most of them, and we're working our way back through as we have time. The IP doesn't have as many worked examples or as thorough answers as the CWP--that's really the only thing I don't like about it.

This is our second year with Singapore (and homeschooling), and we didn't know about the IP books last year (thought they were remedial), so I don't know how doing the IP this year will affect his work next year. I assume it will overlap with some of next year's teaching, but I don't know for sure.

I'm kind of scarily eclectic with math these days. Public school just doesn't afford us enough time to Do Math regularly. So what I've found myself falling into, the once or twice per week that we get to it,  is choosing a topic to cover, then teaching it from the resources at hand. The resources I have at hand for my son are the TB, WB, and IP for 2A (plus Beast 3A and 3B, and Borac). So for example if I want to go over some subtraction with regrouping. I look at his energy level and gauge his interest. Then we find a relevant section of the textbook and go over it. Then I might do a few Borac problems that require mental math and critical thinking to warm him up...then a page of the WB if there's a fun puzzly page (like the ones that have you go through a maze or answer a riddle by doing 10-15 problems), especially if his energy is flagging...or if he seems to be able to handle it we might do a page of regular problems in the IP...and/or some word problems in the IP...and/or something from the More Challenging section...and/or just find something in Beast that's tangentially relevant (eg. when we wanted more addition with regrouping we did some perimeter problems, when we wanted some critical thinking and problem solving with simple mental math we did some triangle inequality, etc.)

My DD isn't as mathy. She does love LOF and does it on her own time. When she wants to do "her homework" aka more worksheet-y math, we work from the TB and WB according to the outline in the HIG, very simple (she's doing 1A now). When I deem her ready for more problem solving I have a half-used IP for 1B we can play with. :)

So when teaching Singapore I don't think I'd want to go without the workbook because it's really useful to see the incremental build-up of skills. But I wouldn't want to go without the IP because it's where most of the fun is for my guy! And I wouldn't want to skip having at least one of the TB or the HIG on hand. I know it makes for an expensive program when you're going through fast, but you can always stretch it out by throwing in lots of supplemental resources to slow them down and/or cause them to skip a level!

My DH sat down with DS last night to talk about math and when I suggested the possibility of taking out the WB, he said he still wanted to do it, but faster.  I'm starting to think he just wants more variety (and possibly to go deeper??) than what we have for him which is Miquon and Singapore.  I think he's pretty intuitive with math and definitely visual-spatial.  He is slower with the basic stuff like simple addition, but will come up with answers in his head quickly for more complex problems and when I ask him how he came up with the answer he says "I just see a picture in my head mommy."  I have read that this isn't necessarily uncommon with some

Thank you everyone for all of the thoughts/suggestions.  I'm off to research "fun" math supplements to see where that takes us.  :)

Last year my DD was doing Singapore Primary Math 6 US edition, we use textbook + Russian math 6/5 + IP6 + CWP +MEP 6 for some challenging problems. We didn't use workbooks at all. For my son (7) we were just using textbook+ IP +CWP + Beast Academy. If I find an interesting problem in a workbook, I will ask kids to work on it. I am trying to avoid an unnecessary repetitions if topic is understood at 95% level. I want my kids to be challenged not bored. When my ds is bored he starts taking things apart to explore how they all work. Due to his curiosity we already lost a lot of  electronics at home.

Brendag, could you pick out 1/2 of the WP problems for your son? I started doing this with Trinqueta this year in order to encourage her to do her best on every problem. She does 1/2, if she misses one, she redoes that one plus one more like it. I do this with both the WP and the IP. We save the CWP for the summer because it's self contained in one book and easy to take on vacation or pull out occasionally without losing the thread of a unit. I've found that there's some repetition in the WB and IP problems so this method works well for us.

IP only here. The main problem is the lack of cute factor mentioned above. That plus the simple problems at the front of each unit are written too close together so it is hard for little hands to write in answers. Finally, my younger son was very motivated by finishing a lesson, and the IP is not broken into daily lessons. He preferred the WB for that reason

Ruth in NZ

Agreed, the font size and layout in the IP makes the WB much more workable for us. We have the IP but just haven't put them into the rotation yet. If you end up doing multiple curriculums, as many people do, then I don't see them as that important.