Menu

It's official... We are moving to Everett, WA

Freckles

My dh just accepted a job transfer within his company this morning. We are moving this summer to WA. We are looking at Arlington right now. Currently, we are in S. California. I'm from Texas. I'm nervous!  Anybody want to share things about the area?

Just a little info. We stopped homeschooling last year. I will have a sophomore and eighth grader in ps.

Schools are better in Snohomish than in Everett.  I don't know about the schools in Arlington.  The middle and high schools in Everett are rumored to be a little rough.  Snohomish is a sweet little town with a lot of variety in housing, and for this general area, is pretty affordable.  

Welcome to the PNW!

We have friends in Everett who got out-of-district permission for Snohomish schools.  They are happy with the schools, but Mom sure does a lot of driving.  

arlington is a nice area. consider it on the rural/small town side.  you will have to drive south of everett into seattle area for "big city" stuff.  I've no idea about the schools.  it does flood in the flats.  they get their weather coming straight down the strait of juan de fuca.   lots of bulbs are grown there - and lots of tourism in april. 

Thanks for all of the insight. We are looking for "Mayberry." I've lived in Los Angeles for almost four years now. The density of people makes me break out in hives. I'm a small town girl at heart. I know the traffic was crowded driving through Seattle, but everyone was so nice. It's the total opposite of driving here. I'm looking forward to less sun and more moderate temps.

you'll also get lots more rain.  we're having a banner year. instead of our normal drizzle, we're getting actual rain.  we're setting records.  we've already had 26"+ - and we average 35" for the entire year.  and we still have october, november and december ahead of us.  while they're forecasting a dry summer, we shall see. (we reached our normal may rainfall total on may 4th.  we've had some actual nice days - and more rain.)

believe it or not, we do have some dry areas in western wa.  sequim is known for sunny - and is a big lavander growing area.  there is also desert at the south end of san juan island.

As of today, we have narrowed down our search to Smokey Point. My dd wants to go to a small high school. I drove to Lake Stevens and Snohomish when I was there last month. So many choices!! Thank you for the info on Everett proper. The cheaper house prices keep drawing in dh. haha

My brother has lived in Snohomish for 25+ years.  His son was able to take dual-enrollment classes in high school and started college as a sophomore.  He the commuted from his home to UW-Bothell and earned a bachelor's in Software Engineering.  He is employed and making very good money and there are many job opportunities for him all in the area he lives.  I think his commute to his current job is only about 20 minutes.  So it seems as it's a great place for those with students interested in the tech industry. 

How exciting.  DH just mentioned moving to Seattle last week.  I lived there for 4 years (college) and some of my best friends live there.  I would move in a hot minute but the kids feel NC is home now and are teens so I wouldn't want to do that to them.

We don't have specific dates yet, but we will be there sometime this summer. I'm trying to get motivated to start packing. :ack2:

look at it as preparation for staging your house for sale.  you want to get as much non-essential stuff out as you can.  (make the house look "bigger" to potential buyers = faster sale for more.)

look at it as preparation for staging your house for sale.  you want to get as much non-essential stuff out as you can.  (make the house look "bigger" to potential buyers = faster sale for more.)

I'm mainly unmotivated because this is my 17th move in 18 years. We came from overseas with 13 bags almost 4 years ago. We are pretty paired down, but there are a couple of things we aren't taking with us. It will be an adjustment as far as housing. We live in a 4000 sq ft home that is too big for us. Who wants to clean 6 bathrooms? not me! It's a family home. It won't go on the market. The home we actually own in Texas is 1300 sq ft. 

I don't want to put too fine a point on it but Everett proper is a hell hole. Do not entertain living in city limits. It will be hard, because housing prices are cheaper, but there's a reason for that.

In the general vicinity, though, basically every other place is nicer with every metric imaginable. People will say "there are nice areas" of Everett, but it's a de facto lie, because there is ONE STREET in Everett that is OK. As a general rule, the closer you get to another town (especially on the way to Mukilteo), the better the houses and environs get.

Snohomish sounds like the ticket, based on the limited info you've given so far.

But there's also Mukilteo...Lake Stevens....Shoreline....Marysville...Arlington and Smokey Point......Woodinville...

Lots out there, don't be discouraged by my scathing review of Everett. Happy house hunting!

Everett is a city like any other. Pretty in some areas, bad in others. I have lived here for 20 yrs. Love it and resent your comment. I work for Mukilteo school district, which is parts of Everett. I see a lot of good and bad everywhere. 

Arlington commute can be tough sometimes. It is a long way out from city type stuff. 

It will be a big change from L..A. I came home from L..A., I rescued my dh from Pasadena..  Its a fun place Puget sound is.