Menu

Why do I hate yoga?

Slache

Do you have a good teacher and class?  I feel like "yoga" can mean so many things these days.  It's possible that changing to a different teacher would make a big difference.  I have done yoga a few times where it wasn't pleasant at all.  And I won't do it at most of the places around here that do the "hot" yoga or the "flow" yoga, neither of which I enjoy.

Probably someone else will have some good insights.  I'm sure we have yoga teachers here.  But my general takeaway from yoga is feeling energized and better - not uncomfortable, though specific poses or parts of yoga class may not be "comfortable" in the moment.  I used to do yoga and got away from it and have been doing again for about a year and it's really improved my overall energy and I think helped my tendency to get migraines.  I've had a lot fewer in the last year than the previous couple of years.  It hasn't really helped me lose weight, but that's okay - that wasn't my goal in returning to it.

But not every activity is for everyone.  It may just not be your thing.

I do yoga via dvds so I can work with my schedule.

teacher is *everything*.

I would suggest trying suzanne deason's yoga conditioning for weight loss.  it is designed for middle-age women who are not fit, or youthfully slim.  (most beginner yoga dvds are NOT!)  she has three women (none of whom are slim) doing various levels of modification to the poses behind her.  you can set the dvd up to focus on just one, or all of them. the models are using the props (instead of just being told - If you can't do __, do this instead as most do.  I *hate* that!).  she frequently will stress listening to your body and not pushing harder than your body is ready to go.  there is no guilt/shame if you need to use a modified version of a pose.

I've been doing yoga for 2 weeks and it sucks. It's uncomfortable. I'm always hot. I'm too fat for it. If I stick with it will I like it more? Does anyone have any advice?

Eh, maybe you just hate yoga? Honestly. I love yoga, but HATE spin classes. Like, will NEVER go to one again. Went once. Almost cried. Thought about making a break for it by the end of the first 10 minutes, but the door was on the other side of the room. Afterwards my friend, who was in just as bad a shape, just as overweight, asked, "why did you look like you were going to cry?" Um, cause I was going to cry. 

I said, and I quote, I will never ever do that again, unless someone holds me at gunpoint. And even then, i think I'll go for the gun. 

I also hate boot camp classes and kick boxing. But love yoga. Love Zumba. Love weight lifting. 

So maybe it just isn't your thing?

Sorry, no advice, but I hate yoga too.  I have tried so many times to like it, because I think it is awesome for your body.  But each time...nope!

I tend to enjoy exercise with peppy music to distract me from the actual work of the exercise.  Yoga is too quiet and too *focused* on the actual exercise for me.

Do what you like!  I hate all forms of exercise that are higher-energy than walking, except for ballroom dance and my beloved ballet workout DVD!  Not actual ballet.  I'm way too clusmy.  But there's something about pretending I'm a ballerina, like I have since I was 4 or so, that helps me through it!  And I love myself by the end of it (unlike, say, middle school gym classes where we did kickboxing and the ancient teacher, who'd been there since before she was my mom's teacher, would scream that boys would never date anyone who had even a teesny bit of underarm flab :crying: .  But I digress...).

Meh, I hate yoga too. Tried it again just this week. It's not for me. It's too slow, and what's with all the breathing? I do fine timing my breathing when I'm running or doing other exercise, but for some reason I get all out of whack when I'm doing yoga.

If you want to keep trying, do. It's like anything else -- it's bound to get easier with practice. And it's supposed to be great for you. But if you really hate it, find something else. The exercise you enjoy and will actually DO is always better than the exercise you won't!

Yoga is okay for me but I LOVE Pilates!

Me too! Dd19 got me hooked on Blogilates last summer----she dropped it when college started but I've kept with it, two or three times a week. I am so much stronger now. I can full-plank for one minute! (This is great news because I suffered from a frozen shoulder for 19 very long and painful months.)

http://www.blogilates.com/ and click on the beginner's calendar at the top. All the videos are on YouTube. There's also a free app that links the videos.

I've been doing the P90X3 yoga once a week. It's a supplement to the aerobics, agility training, and weight training. I think I'll stick with the original 90 day plan but venture out into other programs afterward. I didn't think they would be that different. Thanks.

Does anyone have any yoga DVDs they recommend? I'm looking to get more flexible. I don't want anything with stupid "feel the eternal echo of you body" type comments, just straight up exercise.

I agree with Gardenmom5

I do yoga via dvds so I can work with my schedule.

teacher is *everything*.

I would suggest trying suzanne deason's yoga conditioning for weight loss.  it is designed for middle-age women who are not fit, or youthfully slim.  (most beginner yoga dvds are NOT!)  she has three women (none of whom are slim) doing various levels of modification to the poses behind her.  you can set the dvd up to focus on just one, or all of them. the models are using the props (instead of just being told - If you can't do __, do this instead as most do.  I *hate* that!).  she frequently will stress listening to your body and not pushing harder than your body is ready to go.  there is no guilt/shame if you need to use a modified version of a pose.

Suzanne Deason's Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss is my first and favorite yoga dvd.  (And I'm old enough and overweight enough to appreciate all the modifications offered.)

Find something you like. Don't rule out yoga, though, because different styles can be so hugely different as to be entirely different exercises. I find hatha or most traditional yoga classes horrible, but love Ashtanga or Vinyasa Flow. And it only took one Kundalini yoga class to make me know I'd never do that to myself again.

Oh I love yoga.  I'm not skinny either.  I do all the yogas.  Power, hatha, vinyassa flow.  In the beginning, about 3 years ago I began yoga doing Jillian Michaels.  Her yoga meltdown.  At the time, yes, I hated it.  For all the reasons you mentioned.  So I would only do it like twice that whole year.  Then, about 2 and a half years ago I gave it another go and now I do it everyday.  I workout everyday, either doing a Jilllian workout or such.  But always end with a hatha yoga stretch.  I go through phases where all I do is yoga for my workout.  Right now I am on another yoga binge.  I've decided that I'll stick with it now and not do the other workouts much anymore.  I feel like since I am kind of heavy, (like 20 lbs overweight) I am going to stick with it.  I really need to take a more gentler approach for my body.  The other workouts are getting to me and making me feel older than I am.  Sore all the time.

My suggestions would be to give it another go.  Element yoga has some great videos.  I have found in my 3 year experience with yoga that it something that has to grow on you.  Suddenly one day you will wake up and think, "wow, I love doing this."  Really! It has truly changed so much about me.  Inside and out.  And an aside.  My husband loves the changes too.  lol

Good luck with your choice.  I hope you can find joy in it. 

Ok. So what's a good resource for exploring the different kinds without spending tons of cash?

Myyogaonline.com  I got a subscription for 4 months for like $10 on sale-that's unlimited videos with some of the best.  For beginners, I recommend Rodney Yee or Elena Bower.  I like Eoin Finn, Janet Stone, Kino McGregor for more advanced levels.  Youtube for short videos to start with, too.  I would also check out Jill Miller (youtube, her blog, her DVDs or downloads) if you're looking for rehab/repair/mobility/or any particular issues.  Her Hip Helpers and Core Integration DVDs are good workouts and there's no spirituality-all repair, stretching, and strength with yoga.  Her Yoga Tune Up DVDs are probably one of the greatest things ever. 

Honestly-it depends sooooooo much on my mood and the teacher/DVD.  I really truly hate some yoga DVDs.  And some I look forward to.  I've done yoga on and off for 18 years, though.  My favorite yoga video was one tacked onto a Rachel Brice Serpentine Bellydance DVD.  I didn't care much for the actual bellydance instruction, but her yoga instruction literally saved my back and was just wonderful.  

But if you still don't like it-no big deal.  Find something you do like.  That's what's important.  

I love yoga. And I have for a really long time. I think, for me, yoga makes me happy. If you aren't happy, you aren't in the right place or with the right instructor. 

Please check out Inhale with Steve Ross on youtube. There are several full length episodes available. They were originally run on Oxygen. 

JMHO, but Steve Ross makes yoga fun. It's not about getting the pose perfect. It's not about hitting the posture exactly. It's about how it makes you feel. Maybe you need to take a look at what you're looking to get out of yoga. I want flexibility, strength, centering and calm. I get all of that because it is what I'm seeking and I'm not overly concerned about whether I fall out of balance pose 40 times. I just keep trying.

FWIW, when I first started Inhale with Steve Ross I was 50 pounds overweight. I was nursing and didn't restrict my diet. The weight came off and I was a better mom for it. I continue doing yoga with Steve because I love the way it makes me feel, even if I've put some weight on. It's upbeat and he has great sound tracks. I highly recommend his book, Happy Yoga,  as well. 

Does anyone have any yoga DVDs they recommend? I'm looking to get more flexible. I don't want anything with stupid "feel the eternal echo of you body" type comments, just straight up exercise.

I hate that stuff, too!

Have you ever heard of DDP Yoga? It was created by Diamond Dallas Page, and let's just say he's not exactly your typical yoga instructor... ;)

You can check it out at DDPYoga.com.

you might like barre 3.  it's a combo of pilates, yoga, and ballet.  it will give you a workout and leave your muscles shaking.  (and you didn't think a 2lb weight could make you cry in pain?  mawahhahaha).  you will also get stretched, and the same "muscle toning while muscles extended" that leads to long and lean as opposed to bulky muscles.

one of the things about yoga is it gets you intune with your body so you are more aware. of what you eat (fred hutch cancer research center did a study and found yoga practitioners were most aware of what they actually ate.), of any potential injuries, of being in the wrong position so you don't injure yourself, etc.

I love yoga. And I have for a really long time. I think, for me, yoga makes me happy. If you aren't happy, you aren't in the right place or with the right instructor. 

Please check out Inhale with Steve Ross on youtube. There are several full length episodes available. They were originally run on Oxygen. 

JMHO, but Steve Ross makes yoga fun. It's not about getting the pose perfect. It's not about hitting the posture exactly. It's about how it makes you feel. Maybe you need to take a look at what you're looking to get out of yoga. I want flexibility, strength, centering and calm. I get all of that because it is what I'm seeking and I'm not overly concerned about whether I fall out of balance pose 40 times. I just keep trying.

FWIW, when I first started Inhale with Steve Ross I was 50 pounds overweight. I was nursing and didn't restrict my diet. The weight came off and I was a better mom for it. I continue doing yoga with Steve because I love the way it makes me feel, even if I've put some weight on. It's upbeat and he has great sound tracks. I highly recommend his book, Happy Yoga,  as well. 

there are lots of benes of doing yoga.  many of them very surprising.  I started just for the flexibility while I was also doing nordic track (made by nordic track. stay away from machines made by icon).  while i really liked the nordic track, I loved how yoga made me feel and it took over.

I love how good I feel.  how great my balance is, how well I can breathe, and be calm.  my chiro can tell if I've been doing yoga because I adjust very easily - and hold an adjustment longer.  I like that muscles are worked in conmplimentary groups in balance with each other - not a single muscle/group at a time.  it has made an improvement in my all around health that other forms of exercise simply did not.

when I started, I could barely grab my elbows behind my back.  now, I can put my fingers together behind my back (fingers pointed upwards towards your neck, hands just below shoulder blade level.)

eta: it's also been great for my posture (really builds the core).  I feel like I could walk around with a book on my head.

You don't have to like yoga.

Although I think the advice to try various types and instructors is good if you really want to explore it as an option.  Even some of the supposedly really good instructors won't fit everyone.

I feel comfortable saying I will never do P90X or HIIT or Zumba.  And probably never any heavy lifting.  And I'm okay with that.  I think exercising by doing what you love (or at least like) is much more important than dragging yourself mentally screaming and whining through something you don't.  Or not exercising at all because you don't like what you think you're supposed to be doing.

I know I don't have to like yoga, but I really, really want to. I really want to like running too, but it's just not fun. There are things you get from yoga that you just can't accomplish another way. At least not as well.

You don't have to like yoga, and you don't have to do yoga. There's an almost infinite variety of ways and methods to move your body, stay strong and flexible, so just try to find something you look forward to doing, and the rest is easy.

I recommend the video fitness website. The folks there talk about every type of workout imaginable, not just video workouts, so if you hangout and read posts, you might find something that piques your interest.

I've been doing the P90X3 yoga once a week. It's a supplement to the aerobics, agility training, and weight training. I think I'll stick with the original 90 day plan but venture out into other programs afterward. I didn't think they would be that different. Thanks.

We have P90X (not P90X3 so it may be different) and I turn off the volume, do my own thing and look at the TV every now and then for ideas of what to do next.  It's not great introduction to yoga but it can work as a guide.  I had a membership to yoga school many years ago was exposed to many different styles.  Some styles worked better for me than others- some work better depending on the day and my mood.  Your library may have some DVDs you could check out as well.

I hate yoga because it's too hard on my wrists.  My very skinny teen hates yoga for the same reason, so it's not just my weight.  (It may be that we both use our hands to play musical instruments so we're kind of careful about not screwing them up.)

All the yoga I've tried has emphasized putting all the body weight on the wrists.  So I don't do it.  (I won't play volleyball either)

I do a lot of Zumba  -- with earplugs.  The ear protection is life saver.  I couldn't do it without them.  It just gets too painful.

I've found that the Zumba does a lot for flexibility.  And it's pretty easy to just not do the things that hurt.  Unlike in yoga where I find I'm just sitting out most of the moves.  Anyway, I don't understand how yoga is supposed to increase flexibility.  I just put myself in a position and sit there.  With Zumba I'm going in and out of a position quickly -- ergo, more flexibility work.

To get the weight training aspect of yoga I just lift weights.  If I pop an audiobook into my ipod clone, I barely notice I'm doing any work.  But the amount of weight I can lift is steadily increasing.

Other classes I've hated :

Step classes -- how do you keep from tripping over the little step?

Body Pump -- weight lifting with loud noise and I can't listen to my audiobook, so I notice each and every calorie spent

Zumba classes taught by an instructor who thinks that yoga is a good thing.  Or that burpees are a dance move (once again, not going there -- not with my wrists). I'm just there to have fun.  Not WORK.  If I have sweat pouring off me, that's just incidental.

any class with a bike -- I can't sit on an exercise bike that long.  And why do all the exercise bikes have such uncomfortable little seats?  Except the recumbent ones, but you can't use those in a class around here.  I don't get it.  I can bike a long time on a real bike, with a decent seat.  (I think most bike seats are made for guys....)

My feelings towards yoga took a turn to love this year. Previous years I mixed it in with my HIIT exercises to add stretch and balance but as of this year I am focusing solely on yoga. My turn around was watching a video by Briohny Smythe of what her morning ritual looks like. (I won't post the video because she is in in underwear which may offend some people). But my thoughts after watching that video were "I want to be strong like that". That was the starting point. I also have a subscription for myyogaonline. It's great and allows you to pick videos that are full body or that focus on one or two areas of the body so you can switch it up. I also really like Tara Stiles downloadable videos because her practices are not spiritual at all (she has actually got a lot of flack for that) and they turn up the challenge for me by including beginning inversions or at least the steps to get you there. But it is nice because they things are totally optional and she is always encouraging you to just do what you are comfortable with. Kino McGregor is amazing for Ashtanga Yoga and myyogaonline introduced me to a lot of other yoga instructors that I love for different reasons. 

ETA: For the first time in my life my triceps are defined. I have always been on the small side but one of those skinny fat people with no muscle tone. And for the first time I am seeing muscle definition and strength. My flexibility improves weekly. I can now do crow pose, do a handstand without the aid of the wall (although it lasts only seconds) and am on my way to doing full splits. 

Yes!!!  I loved Inhale.  I used to do it every morning in college, and it's by far my favorite yoga show/video.  

Every time I see this thread pop up to the top of the board again I flash back to that scene of Gilmore Girls-

"You broke your leg?"

"Yeah, three years ago during a yoga class. The headstand portion took a very ugly turn. The good thing was that I brought the smug, blonde, pretzel chick down with me. I've since learned that I'm a bit too competitive for yoga."

It might be the teacher.

I used to love yoga. I earned a "yoga leader" certification thing long ago. I tried to start up again a few years ago and the yoga leader was awful. She went straight in to moves that someone who had been doing for years would find challenging. And it was a beginning yoga class.