Menu

Online secular science classes: any you've liked?

I'm debating about signing DD11, who will be in 7th grade, up for an online class or two this fall or next. She's a bright girl, interested in science and currently dreaming of a career in marine biology, but I'd like to hear about experiences with any science classes.

I've seen references to Athena's Advanced Academy, for instance. Just how "advanced" does a child need to be? At the end of 4th grade, just before we pulled her from public school, dd was formally accepted into their gifted program in language arts but not math. I've always thought she was intelligent but not highly gifted. She is a good reader and is currently working through Castro and Huber's Marine Biology book, which is aimed at intro level non-biology-major college students but also used by some high schools.

There must be other classes available. What has your child enjoyed? We'd like something engaging, reasonably rigorous but not overwhelming, something to help her get ready for AP courses later but also stimulate her interest now.

The Athena's classes are great... One does not need to be an off the charts genius, just bright and intellectually curious. On each class description they usually give an idea of expectations and minimum reading level.

DS took "Meet the Scientists" this spring... I've thought several of their others, like Biomes and Elements, also looked great and would probably be our next step. Hope that helps a bit....

Elemental Science online is new, http://www.elementalscience.com/high-school-courses/. I don't have a HS student yet, but I almost signed up for fall. We just have a full schedule in a few months. There are other places, such as Wilson Academy and The Potter's School; it's just hard to justify paying that much for science when we're not out of the logic stage yet. Elemental Science is cheap that I could take a risk with it.

Trinqueta's done astronomy and geology at Athena's. She's bright but not profoundly gifted and did fine. As long as your child can read the textbook (and I'm sure she can based on your description) she'll be fine.

T is going to try Elemental Science's Physical Science next year. I've got the textbook and it really is fine for a bright middle schooler. It's often used in 8th grade.

T is going to try Elemental Science's Physical Science next year. I've got the textbook and it really is fine for a bright middle schooler. It's often used in 8th grade.

It is so reasonably-priced, and I still may consider it as we draw closer to fall. I'm outsourcing all our languages this fall and worrying about the workload. Good to know that you have T enrolled in class in case we skip it this year and enroll next year and have questions for you. :)

Thanks, everyone! Hmmm... those Elemental Science classes look good, and I do like the price.  :)  Maybe I'll see what DH and DD think about the biology class. It's good to know the Athena's classes might be an option, too.

Any others?

Are you outsourcing the languages online or locally?

Both online and locally, so Latin Lukeion (just one semester to see how it goes), most likely Greek with clrchomeschool, Gamache's Spanish, and then couple of other classes in the city, as well as daily Spanish tutoring.

Both online and locally, so Latin Lukeion (just one semester to see how it goes), most likely Greek with clrchomeschool, Gamache's Spanish, and then couple of other classes in the city, as well as daily Spanish tutoring.

As a complete aside, I am so happy to see others focus resources on languages to this extent. It makes me feel less crazy throwing as much $$ and will-power as we have to languages. And we are only doing two!

As a complete aside, I am so happy to see others focus resources on languages to this extent. It makes me feel less crazy throwing as much $$ and will-power as we have to languages. And we are only doing two!

I took the plunge this year to focus on strengths and to basically do it now versus later when we may not have as much time and when DD may not absorb languages as quickly. Everything else will have to lighten up a bit, so I hope it's the right decision for the coming year.