Menu

Florida vacation....VRBO/Homeaway area options from Tampa to Seista Key/Sarasota

Holly IN

We are looking at places at VRBO/Homeaway....What are the best areas from Tampa all the way down to Seista key/Sarasota area anywhere along those lines.  Beach access is a plus but not a must have.  Private pool is a must have....Just need areas that are the best for VRBO/homeaway homes. 

Thanks!!

Holly

Why do you love Anna Maria Island? :) Convince me!!

Well, we always stayed at the north part of the island and could walk to the playground or to get ice cream (can't do that at home)

We haven't been there in 8 years, but when we were there it was not over commercialized. No cheap beach stores or even a walmart. They did have a publix for grocery shopping.

We stayed at beach front homes (wasn't too expensive back then). The homes are nearly on the beach. So private and beautiful. Clear water, white sand. Hardly saw anyone on the beach.

I wish we could go back there every year. We just haven't been able to make it in quite a few years. If we could we'd go there for every vacation

Eta: no high rise hotels. Actually I'm not sure if there are any hotels. There has to be at least one? No clue.

You're looking for a pool... I know there were houses with pools.

We stayed at a house in Indian Rocks Beach before we moved to Clearwater in 2012 (we had 3 weeks between closings).  It is a nice quiet beach without a lot of commerce (like say, Clearwater Beach).  No high rise hotels, etc.  If you go to VRBO and type in Indian Rocks Beach and click on the "Shalimar" property you can see the house we rented and others owned by the same couple (a nice couple from Ohio that was very pleasant to deal with, accommodating, etc.).  We had a pool, the house backed up to a nature preserve, a block to the beach, and a never used children's playground on the other end of the street.

I like Treasure Island.  It has a nice wide beach like Clearwater but with way less bars, drinking, crowds, and crime. Indian Rocks beach & some of the other smaller islands are nice too but the beaches tend to be broken up with erosion barriers.

Last year we stayed in Apopka....never again will we do that!!!  We had to pay toll every single day if we wanted out of the city.  They really had nothing where we stayed.  We decided that if we go back to Florida we will stay along the coastal lines in the gulf.   We live far away from everything at home so prefer to be somewhat in the middle of everything where we do not have to travel a far way to get to a Walmart when we already do that at home.  lol

Looked at Seista key properties and its very decent priced.  Keep comments coming.  :)  Thank you guys!

I rented a house in Sarasota last year through Home Away.  I needed a place that could sleep 8 and this was very comfortable. And much less expensive than 4 hotel rooms.  :thumbup1:

We were there for my daughters college graduation so most of our time was already scheduled but we did make trips to the beach and to the Ringling Art Museum.

Sarasota also has a nice down town for dining.

This is something I posted on another forum about Longboat Key, about an hour south of Tampa and just outside of Sarasota.

Quote:

If Anna Maria is still your thing, then go one island south to Long Boat Key. Stay at the Longboat Key Club. The beach is nice, a little more shells than Destin, but that gives something to hunt for in the mornings.

There is a ton to do if one stays there. Look up on line, but here are some quickies if you have a car:

1. St. Armand's Circle full of unique shops and restaurants

2. Mote Aquarium

3. Biking down Longboat (wide sidewalk)

4. Boat tours in the Bay. (Captain Kim is my favorite)

5. Kayaking in the mangos

6. Deep sea fishing.

7. Children's museum.

8. Putt putt on the mainland

9. Park on Lido Key which is walking distant from the Longboat Key Club.

10. Live theater at several locations.

11, Ringling Museum of Art.

12. Check schedules but the circus is usually doing some sort of show.

13. Sailboating camp for kiddos, no experience required,

• 2 weeks later...

I am not seeing the Shalimar property on there.  It may not have passed my filter.  Do you have the VRBO  number?

We stayed at a house in Indian Rocks Beach before we moved to Clearwater in 2012 (we had 3 weeks between closings).  It is a nice quiet beach without a lot of commerce (like say, Clearwater Beach).  No high rise hotels, etc.  If you go to VRBO and type in Indian Rocks Beach and click on the "Shalimar" property you can see the house we rented and others owned by the same couple (a nice couple from Ohio that was very pleasant to deal with, accommodating, etc.).  We had a pool, the house backed up to a nature preserve, a block to the beach, and a never used children's playground on the other end of the street.