Menu

Body Image and Body positivity

mommymilkies

Interesting. The bad part is it actually made me take my measurements. Let's just say that was eye opening. And not in a good way.

It says I am an hourglass although I considered myself more of a pear. Also I perceived myself as larger which is likely common. However it is confusing because sometimes I will see a photo of myself and I will realize that I am heavier than I realize.

I am trying to walk a fine line between wanting to lose some weight and accepting myself as "okay" in the here and now.

Very eye opening!

It says I perceive myself as being 22.5% larger than I actually am.  I chose the eighth model.  It says I'm between the third and fourth.

I'm a "perfect pear."  I already knew I'm a pear.  Not so sure about perfect. ;)

I agree with Sunflowerlady that it's confusing.  If I'm actually smaller than I think I am, then why do I feel like I look bigger in photos than I really am??  Is it all due to skewed perception?

I go back and forth.  Before I lost my last 10 lbs, I was hourglass, but now that I've lost that, I'm a "perfect pear" which is to say I'm lacking boobs.  :cursing:

I definitely see myself as bigger in pics than I see myself IRL or in the mirror. And measurements definitely weren't pretty.  I've made zero progress eating healthy and exercising for a few months.  Zero.  I think part of it is that I have a tiny bone frame, so people think I don't have weight to lose, but I really do.  I'm at an unhealthy BMI and fat % for my height/frame and really need to work on strength.  So it makes me a little bit defensive.  

I've also noticed I think curvier people are more attractive in some ways.  I really admire the curves.  I would *love* that. But it's just not my body frame, so extra weight just goes on like a sprinkle of rolls and cellulite.   :lol:  And I was always compared to my thin cheerleader mother growing up, so I have a bit of a complex. I'm trying to be OK with my body shape and just my body in general.  It's a rough road.  I want to scream at people "You're beautiful!  Why don't you love your body???" but I'm a total hypocrite because I really hate myself.  So I'm trying to fake it til I make it with body image. 

Very eye opening!

It says I perceive myself as being 22.5% larger than I actually am.

I'm a "perfect pear."  I already knew I'm a pear.  Not so sure about perfect. ;)

I agree with Sunflowerlady that it's confusing.  If I'm actually smaller than I think I am, then why do I feel like I look bigger in photos than I really am??  Is it all due to skewed perception?

I got similar results. :) 

I think it's just how critical we are of ourselves and our skewed perceptions.  Add in the camera adds 10 lbs (right????), and we see our every flaw amplified. 

OK I went back and rechecked and I perceived myself as 12.5 percent larger.

About body shape , like I said , it labelled me an hourglass when I see myself as a pear. In fact I have taken other online quizzes and been labeled a pear. I think my issue is that I gain all over and sort of carry it evenly. I know for a fact that I have gained in the bust line. The funny thing is if I get back on track with losing, guess where it will come from first. Yeah, not hips , thighs or tummy. The bust goes first. Then I am more of a pear.

Oh and I see other women of all shapes and sizes and think they look great. I am working on thinking the same for myself but it is not as easy.

I guessed my size correctly. Right now I'm a Pear, I'm usually more of an hourglass but since my last pregnancy my hips are a fair amount bigger than they were. I actually like my body when naked, although I would like to lose some weight (as I've put some on due to thyroid issues), clothes on the other hand are causing me fits right now. 

Well the measurements are depressing, but it says I'm 15% less than I thought. I'm a perfect pear, I used to be more hourglass though. 

I know I pay more attention to how clothes hang lately. It makes a difference in photos for sure. 

We're like body dysmorphia buddies!

It said I am 11% smaller than I what I think and that I'm a perfect pear shape.  I started this pregnancy a little heavier than usual and have quickly started getting wider so normally I do think I'd be quite a bit smaller.  Unfortunately for me to have any chest I have to carry some weight in my lower half.

I'm 7.5% smaller than I guessed, and the "perfect hourglass" shape.... wrong!

The problem is with the waist measurement - it says to measure the smallest part under your bust, which for me is fine.  But my belly is bigger than that (Diastasis recti plus some fat.)  I always look 6 months pregnant.   :sad:

Its says I'm 17.5% smaller than I think I am.  I have terrible problems with my body image right now. I was always a little overweight but never obese. Even though I was overweight I was very confident with my body.  After having my dd who is 4 I got to the healthiest weight I've ever been at and felt phenomenal! I was happy with my body because I looked damn good but also because I felt good physically.  Prior to that I got headaches often, battled with depression, was tired all the time, and had carpal tunnel essentially.  I thought I had finally figured out a life style that kept me healthy.  Then I got pregnant  and lost the baby at 15 weeks which led to a very deep depression that included a lot of eating and no exercising!  Then I got pregnant again and gained a lot because of the stress of worrying about a miscarriage.  My youngest is 16 months and I'm at the heaviest I've ever been!  I feel like crap physically again and can't seem to relearn how to eat properly.  Right now the only thing that keeps me from feeling entirely disgusted with my body is that my dh still finds me irresistible!  But I'm a good 60 lbs away from when I felt great and it seems so unattainable!

I think most of my weight perception issues are due to being very short. Taller women can gain 20 pounds and it barely shows. I gain 5 and it shows loud and clear. :thumbdown:

This is so, so true. I used to kind of like being short, but the more weight I gain, the more I curse my short genes. 😢

I'd love to know how this awesome lady would do on the quiz?  Or if she'd even bother taking it?  (I really just wanted to share this link because I LOVE this lady's attitude!!)  http://imperfectlife.net/ilovemyuglybody/

Wow!  What an inspiration!  I wish I was that strong and flexible.  And such an amazing attitude.  That's fabulous.  Thanks for sharing!

Another shortie. I gain a kilo and I turn into a dumpling.

:lol:  I'm 5'5" with a small frame.  One pound jumps me up a pants size.  It would be reallllly nice if any of that weight made my bra size change.  Just sayin'. 

I'm a perfect hourglass but I perceived myself as 10% larger than I am.  The really scary thing is I didn't think the thinnest model looked thin "enough".  I've been reading too many weight lifting/exercise sites and kind of feel if I don't look like a fitness model I'm a failure.  Which is logically ridiculous yet how I find myself thinking.

Perfect hourglass, hah!!  My measurements are 38-33-38, yeah. But I am only 5 feet tall and pretty much have no waist (straight up and down) and a big belly. The only reason my hip measurement is that big is because I have a nice size hiney out back. 

I really liked the link posted upthread from the Imperfect Life. I've been working hard to accept my own body right now. I do struggle however with being jealous, which is wretched I know. Usually I'm the skinny one and seeing people at the size I'm usually at is a bit hard right now. Combining that with the fact that my energy hasn't allowed me to do much about it is so hard because I want to focus just on health and getting in better shape but not having the energy to do so means just accepting where I'm at. I am feeling better, since adopting the auto-immune diet and thyroid hormones but I haven't been up to working out yet. Anyway, so there is this odd feeling of trying to accept and love where I'm at but also wanting to lose weight and be in better shape, which is usually a positive goal and sometimes I just don't like being bigger. I also feel this need to explain to everyone my thyroid wonked out and that is why I'm bigger. I hate this thought that people think, well I guess she finally let herself go now that she has 4 kids. I worry if I accept where I'm at then it just means I'm being apathetic and lazy.  So, obviously I'm still not all the way there with acceptance and perhaps I'll learn whatever lesson it is that I need to learn.