Menu

need help with 7th-10th grade science sequence (prerequisite maths, as well)

IfIOnly

My oldest will be in 6th grade next year, and I need to sort this out ASAP!  

I'm considering:

7 - pre-algebra/ general science 

8 - algebra 1/ physical science

9 - algebra 2/ biology

10 - geometry/ chemistry

11- dual enrollment at local CC - I do not want to be doing any homeschooling with him at this point.  

12 - dual enrollment - ditto!

OR

6-   general science

7 - pre-algebra/ physical science

8 - algebra 1/ biology

9 - algebra 2/ chemistry

10 - geometry/ physics

11- dual enrollment at local CC - Just to reiterate, I do not want to be doing any homeschooling with him at this point.  

12 - dual enrollment - ditto

We are will be using Apologia science textbooks. I know they are not AP and ds won't be able to CLEP unless he does the Apologia advanced courses.  If we wanted to do the advanced courses in biology, chemistry, and physics how would that need to be scheduled in grades 7-10 in regards to maths?  So, can we just do the advanced biology in 9th and advanced chemistry in 10th successfully with the math he would have covered?  Or, what about the 8/AP biology, 9/ AP chemistry/ 10/ AP physics sequence?

By the way we use TT and from what I understand Alg. 1 and 2 actually make up just alg. 1 compared to most curricula.  Any other sequence (including math) that would work better?

Thoughts?  Help!

The principal comment I have on mathematics is that he might end up placing into developmental math at the CC if he hasn't done algebra since 9th grade. A whole year without algebra is a long time at those grades. I'd be more inclined to swap algebra 2 and geometry so that he goes to the CC with the algebra fresh, or do both concurrently on an every-other-day schedule.

Also, TT's algebra 2 is not as strong as some, but it is not just algebra 1.

With respect to science, am I correct in that you're considering (after your second schedule) doing AP biology in 8th grade? There are very few students who could handle college-level sciences starting in 8th grade.

I think either of your science schedules could work -- if you go ahead and start general science, you have a little leeway built in so that if your student needs to slow down and take 3 years to do 2 books, you're still on track for your first schedule.

The principal comment I have on mathematics is that he might end up placing into developmental math at the CC if he hasn't done algebra since 9th grade. A whole year without algebra is a long time at those grades. I'd be more inclined to swap algebra 2 and geometry so that he goes to the CC with the algebra fresh, or do both concurrently on an every-other-day schedule.

With respect to science, am I correct in that you're considering (after your second schedule) doing AP biology in 8th grade? There are very few students who could handle college-level sciences starting in 8th grade.

I think either of your science schedules could work -- if you go ahead and start general science, you have a little leeway built in so that if your student needs to slow down and take 3 years to do 2 books, you're still on track for your first schedule.

Thank you so much for the feedback.  I def. am wondering if the AP classes will work with those grade levels, and if I should just do AP classes in 9th and 10th or maybe even 11th and 12th are more realistic and we shouldn't go the AP route.  Hmm.  You gave me some things to think about.  Thanks again!

Thanks for the heads up about switching the geometry/algebra 2 sequence.  

If your son will be going to community college in 11th and 12th he won't need AP science because he could take the college level in college. AP classes are meant to exempt out of freshman level college courses. Taking two years of college classes will allow him to be a junior or close to junior level in college when he graduates high school at 18. He could then potentially graduate college at 20 depending on his choice of major.