Menu

A very enjoyable novel without overly sappy romance -

JessReplanted

I like a well-written story, not sappy, not disturbing, nothing too chick-lit.  Some that I have liked recently:

Shotgun Lovesongs, by Nickolas Butler (not a lot happens in the book, but I thought it was a nicely written story about 4 male friends)

Fin & Lady, by Cathleen Schine (set in the 1960s, a young 20-something party girl gets custody of her young half brother whom she barely knows)

22 Britannia Road, by Amanda Hodgkinson (a couple is reunited after WWII - he was a Polish citizen who fought for England, she and the young son were on the run and living wild in the woods of Poland)

The Unfinished Works of Elizabeth D, by Nichole Bernier (read this last year, an IRL friend went to college with the author.  Great story about a woman who died in a plane crash and left her journals she had been writing since childhood to her best friend.  The best friend realized how very, very little she knew about her deceased friend).

The last romance I read that was really sweet was Attachments by Rainbow Rowell and it wasn't overly sappy or disturbing at all.  The main character's job is to read everyone's email that's flagged at a company to make sure they're not violating company policy and he falls in love with a woman after reading her email.  It was clearly a bit set up, but I enjoyed it.

Have you read any of the Ladybug Farm books by Donna Ball? The first is A Year on Ladybug Farm:

http://www.amazon.com/Year-Ladybug-Farm-Donna-Ball/dp/0425225879/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401394821&sr=1-2&keywords=ladybug+farm

They're sort of very grown up chick lit, but great characters and I really enjoyed all the books.

And in looking up the link for this, I discovered there was another just published!! :D