Menu

When spelling, hears "f" sound writes a "s" letter consistantly

I noticed while my son was taking an online assessment test that when the word "sad" was said he typed in f-a-d and vice versa.

The same thing happened with "t" and "d".

So, I went back to look at his spelling word lists, and thought "well, I'll be darned"  sure enough he's been doing that frequently for the past 2 years.  How have I missed that before now?

If you point to a "T" he makes the sound for "T" and the same with all the other letters.  So, I know he can put the sight of the letter and the sound of the letter together.  It appears to be when he has to recall the letter that he recalls the wrong letter with the wrong sound.

Am I making any sense?  He reads and comprehends at a grade 12.9 level but spells at a grade 1.  The books he is usually reading for enjoyment are high school and college level history books which he comletely understands and will go on at length to tell you about what he has learned.

Is there a name  for this?  Will he grow out of this or do I need to head back to the Children's rehab center he was part of as a toddler?  Am I looking for a speech therapist, reading therapist, or what?

Part of me wonders if this is just a 13 year old boy who is very clumsy right now because he is growing again.  Perhaps things are just misfiring and I should just give it 3 months to see if it improves or corrects itself before I start up getting help from the center again.

What are your thoughts?

I don't know, but ds9 is similar though not so extreme.  It took me ages to realize he was saying "fermember" not "remember."  And, of course, spelling it the same way.  There have been dozens of weird little mispronunciations like that which I have had to find.  His reading level is not as high, but it's similar that he'll read something at or above grade level and be able to discuss it in detail, no problem.  He enjoys reading.  Listening to him read aloud anything beyond a 2nd grade level though can be a little difficult - he misses words and mispronounces odd things.  And he's also very dramatic, so he likes to get into a flow with things and do voices and so forth, which often makes him miss even more words than he would otherwise.  Sometimes in the middle of reading aloud, he'll have to stop himself and be like, "huh?" and then read again silently to get it.  He did struggle with some speech issues when he was younger, but not enough that I ever sought speech therapy.  I worked with him on them and I thought they had mostly gone away.

AAS has been really good for him in the last year.  I've seen big improvement in his spelling.  And, honestly, his reading aloud has also been steadily getting better, so I haven't been too concerned.

T and D are voiced pairs. Watch my phonics lesson 6 together, look at the sounds he confuses on this website together, watch my lesson 6 again, then do a spelling test to see of he can discriminate the voiced pairs. If not, he may need something like LiPS, you might also want an audiology exam to check his hearing. (For example, have him spell cat and cad, sat and sad, tan and dan, bat and pat, van and fan, junk and chunk, etc.). Each of these sounds is slightly different at the beginning, middle, or end of the word, as well, make sure he can hear that difference. Seeing how it is made and thinking about the differences as you listen helps some of my students with mild speech/language processing/hearing difficulties:

http://www.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/#

It sounds like it could be a hearing issue to me too. I have a lisp, so I don't always pronounce my s's properly. If I have to spell something over the phone, people can almost never tell if I'm saying f or s. And my kids used to use say things like Maffew instead of Matthew. So I could totally see how someone could get the sounds garbled if he cant hear everything clearly.

Or maybe it's just a kid who doesn't pick up spelling naturally. My ds10 can't spell anything. It's depressing. I'm going to start Logic of English with him this summer and see if explicit instruction with the phonograms helps him to remember spelling patterns.

My ds had some speech therapy to address this issue.  His hearing was fine, but he had a mild auditory processing issue.  To address this, we worked on what is referred to as "minimal pairs."  I had to give him pictures, and the words that went with those pictures had only one sound different, those sounds being voiced pairs.  For example, he would have pictures of "ten" and "den."  I would say one of them, and he would have to point to the one I said.  There is a whole process to it that the speech therapist walked us through it and gave us homework to do.  It was very helpful.