Menu

Share Your Good News Here!!!

PrairieSong

After all the sad news recently, I thought I'd share some good news. Our oldest daughter is in a religious order and is currently in France. We haven't seen her since early 2012. We talk to her on the phone and write letters, but it isn't quite the same. Next month dh and I and two of our other daughters will visit her in France!! I'm so so excited! Then dh will return home and the two dd's and I will spend a few days in England.

So...what's your good news?

Tuesday I completed the final steps for working for another college in July or August, teaching online.  We really need this because the local college I've been working for just doesn't have the sections for me any more because of program changes and budget cuts.  I submitted my application materials 18 months ago.

Today is the last day of standardized testing in our homeschool.  Whoo-hoo!

I have some good news.  The ladies on the Tackle threads know this, but my dd1 made a Junior National cut in the mile last Sunday! :hurray:  We are so thrilled for her.

Also ds1 has been traveling in Europe and will be home next week.

Also my recent medical tests have all been normal. 

My younger daughter (homeschooled from 3rd-8th grades) is graduating from her performing arts high school in a few weeks.  She is starting a performing arts college with $15000 worth of scholarships and grants and will be living on the Upper West Side of Manhattan (in dorms) starting in October.  She is doing 4 semesters in 16 straight months (fall, spring, summer, fall) with the option to continue for a BFA at the Hollywood campus.  It's so exciting and she cannot wait.

I haven't had anything very big happen recently, but I am hoping for some very good news in a few weeks.  

One small thing that's been great this year is that my youngest son has loved going to kindergarten.  It's the first time I'd ever sent a child to school and it's been a great experience. I imagine I'll homeschool him sometime in the future, especially with our lifestyle, but I'm glad he had the chance to go to a good school this year.

My son got bumped up into the history class I wanted for him in co-op.  He was on the wait list.  My dd got all the paperwork done and approved to take 2 classes at a community college.  My dad did not die 2 weeks ago.  Instead, when he had trouble breathing he went to the ER where they found his lungs full of blood clots.  They were able to treat him and now he is home and doing well. And my sister's husband is doing well after being in the hospital for pancreatitis.

My 17 yr old has CAPD and dyslexia. This was our first year for mandatory testing. I chose the Peabody. He scored at or above grade average for the things I was most worried about. Of course I don't put much stock into standardized testing and took the results with a grain of salt. Well he has speech therapy once a week and they retest every year. For memory and expressive language he was below average, with really low scores. His receptive language was low average. His results came back and he made such impressive gains that his therapist thought she scored it wrong. His memory score is slightly above low average but his receptive and expressive scores are where they should be for someone his age. I am so happy. I have worried so much over the years with this child and prayed so hard for improvement.

I just got back my 12 year old daughter's Stanford 10 Achievement test results.  She did great.  The man from our Umbrella school told her that very few students will have scores that great!  I know she is smart and works hard, but it was still nice.  She also made the dance team at a new studio.  The dance team was a big deal.  We moved recently and she had to leave her beloved dance studio.  Making the team at this studio really helps!!  We were driving 45 minutes one way two nights a week.  The new studio is 10 minutes from home!

Suzanne

Geezle is doing really well in public middle school. He's so much more pleasant to be around now that we don't have to lock horns over every little thing. He's even started to make his own lunches. He's going to start up again with his tutor for the summer and I hope that will go smoothly.

GW has been doing very well during school outings lately. He's able to control his verbal outbursts and remain calm. I'm so proud of him.

Trinqueta's finished up most of her online classes and gotten high As in both of the graded ones. She did well at her violin recital and sang her small solo beautifully in her first musical theater production. She's excited about taking on new challenges next year with more graded online classes and starting secondary math.

I sound like an obnoxious Christmas letter, but I am very proud of my rabble!

My state passed a bill last summer giving homeschoolers access to all of the public school activities.  My 9th grader played for our public school tennis team and had a blast playing with friends he has known since he was three years old.  He has advanced to States and is leaving with his high school coach in 90 minutes.  He has never played on the courts at OSU.  He has his first match tomorrow morning.  We are all so excited for him.

I forgot to post my best good news!  My nephew had a terrible car accident.  For awhile, we were worried he wouldn't make it.  We also worried he might be paralyzed or have brain trauma.  I am delighted to say that he is expected to make a full recovery.  He has several broken bones and a long recovery, but praise God he will recover.  He is a great responsible kid so I really struggled that he had to go through such a terrible ordeal.

Suzanne

I finally made it into a dr who listened to me and started me on thyroid medications, that along with supplements, diet and lifestyle changes have greatly improved how I feel and the scale has even started to go down. I'm so hopeful it continues, although terrified it won't. 

I love reading everyone's good news posts, but Suzanne, yours made me tear up! I'm so happy for your son that he made such great improvement, and for your nephew that he is expected to fully recover!

I forgot to post my best good news!  My nephew had a terrible car accident.  For awhile, we were worried he wouldn't make it.  We also worried he might be paralyzed or have brain trauma.  I am delighted to say that he is expected to make a full recovery.  He has several broken bones and a long recovery, but praise God he will recover.  He is a great responsible kid so I really struggled that he had to go through such a terrible ordeal.

Suzanne

My 17 yr old has CAPD and dyslexia. This was our first year for mandatory testing. I chose the Peabody. He scored at or above grade average for the things I was most worried about. Of course I don't put much stock into standardized testing and took the results with a grain of salt. Well he has speech therapy once a week and they retest every year. For memory and expressive language he was below average, with really low scores. His receptive language was low average. His results came back and he made such impressive gains that his therapist thought she scored it wrong. His memory score is slightly above low average but his receptive and expressive scores are where they should be for someone his age. I am so happy. I have worried so much over the years with this child and prayed so hard for improvement.

We're expecting baby #10. I'm 24 wks but haven't told anyone yet because I don't want to hear the nasty responses and comments I've heard the past 6 times I've shared baby news. Guess I need to spill the beans soon, it's too hot to hide under a sweatshirt anymore ;)

Congrads!  On your new baby, and here's to no nasty comments about too many kids from the hive.

I love reading everyone's good news posts, but Suzanne, yours made me tear up! I'm so happy for your son that he made such great improvement, and for your nephew that he is expected to fully recover!

Thank you so much!  We are so very thankful that he is doing so well. 

We're expecting baby #10. I'm 24 wks but haven't told anyone yet because I don't want to hear the nasty responses and comments I've heard the past 6 times I've shared baby news. Guess I need to spill the beans soon, it's too hot to hide under a sweatshirt anymore ;)

Oh, congratulations!!! There's only one problem. You might have to change your user name...LOL

I just had a baby and he is wonderful and healthy and beautiful!

Congratulations!!  :hurray:

Congratulations!!  :hurray:

Babies are definitely good news   :thumbup:   

In a few days my parents are coming to visit for the entire summer! They are renting a house nearby. This is particularly important to me because they have had some health setbacks and my mom is recovering from a bad fall. Despite that we are looking forward to doing all sorts of fun things this summer and having the time to tackle a few projects.

Also, my dd is home from her first year at college - I missed her so much and we love having her home.

Oh! What parts are you going to?

We're going to Beijing (Great Wall, Forbidden City, Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven, some cultural things), Xi'an (Terracotta warriors omg---dd is beside herself with excitement), and Shanghai (gardens, museums, historical stuff). We're traveling with a group of 20 from the university here, led by our good friends. This is dh's dream trip.

We will have a free afternoon and evening on my birthday while in Beijing, so I'm trying to figure out what we should do :)

We're going to Beijing (Great Wall, Forbidden City, Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven, some cultural things), Xi'an (Terracotta warriors omg---dd is beside herself with excitement), and Shanghai (gardens, museums, historical stuff). We're traveling with a group of 20 from the university here, led by our good friends. This is dh's dream trip.

We will have a free afternoon and evening on my birthday while in Beijing, so I'm trying to figure out what we should do :)

Sounds like a fun trip! If your tour does not include Peking opera, I highly recommend it. Beijing has changed so much over the last ten years, but you should still be able to find some old hutongs (traditional courtyard homes in small alley ways) to visit if they are not on the tour schedule. Also, if you have the chance to break free from the pack in Xi'an, Hui Min Jie (The Muslim quarter) and the mosque are really special places to visit, but they are definitely tourist traps with stalls upon stalls of tchotchkes and people shouting "hello!" :)

Thanks!

If I knew how to change it, I would have done it when baby #9 was born ;)

If you want to change it, go to your profile and click on the black box in the upper right hand that says Edit My Profile. Then you will see a list on the left side of the screen. Go to Display Name and change it there.

I am going to be a grandma!!!!!! My 28 year old daughter and her husband are expecting their first baby on Dec. 21! (The downside: he's a Marine stationed on the complete opposite coast from me and I don't get to be a part of her pregnancy and birth. Looking forward to Skyping if I can get that set up!)

Youngest DS finished his first year of early college high school last week.  As a rising sophomore, he already has four college credits, all A's.  This is after being homeschooled from second through eighth grades.

Oldest will graduate high school in a couple of weeks and it looks like he'll be in the top five in his class (about 290 kids).

I got a new car Saturday.

I met with my disability attorney yesterday for the first time since his office took my case a year ago. I have finally been assigned a Judge, although no court date in sight as of yet. I am been waiting two and a half years for this time to come and it's finally getting there. My last day at work was January of 2012 and I am so tired of fighting the system. Hopefully my day in court will come before the end of the year. The good news is that I got a good judge and it's getting closer.  :)

Oh, any my 13 yo DD won another writing contest! :D

And, its the last day of school for us. Going to a water park tomorrow to celebrate. :willy_nilly:

I got an A on my French exam and an A for the class. The only college class I have not earned an A in was College Algebra. (Not my strength. Got a B.) I met with my advisor and, if I push myself, I can earn my AA by this time next spring!

We found a facility in state for my treatment. (Even though it will still be a five hour drive each way.) Even better, they are in network for our insurance and, after the first week we will have met our out of pocket for the year so if I need to stay for one month or five it will be covered at 100%.

Sounds like a fun trip! If your tour does not include Peking opera, I highly recommend it. Beijing has changed so much over the last ten years, but you should still be able to find some old hutongs (traditional courtyard homes in small alley ways) to visit if they are not on the tour schedule. Also, if you have the chance to break free from the pack in Xi'an, Hui Min Jie (The Muslim quarter) and the mosque are really special places to visit, but they are definitely tourist traps with stalls upon stalls of tchotchkes and people shouting "hello!" :)

Thanks! We're going to experience many musical performances on the trip. One of the trip leaders is a violin performance prof who holds joint appointments in the US and in China. His wife just received her PhD in linguistics. They spend most of every academic summer with her parents outside Beijing (his parents recently moved to the US). We'll be visiting hutongs one morning. Xiang likes to take pictures of the same places each year to show just how fast China is changing.

* DS#3 returns home in less than 2 weeks after being in England for the past school year.  I just made return reservations for the train trip to the airport for him.  

* DS#1 and wife are expecting my first grandbaby!

* DS#4 graduated from high school on Saturday (with 47 concurrent college hours with a 4.0)

* DS#2 is doing an internship which is very engaging for him.

* I'm working (too many hours) back in my field (pharmacy).  I haven't harmed anyone yet (that's a LOL except that it has a bit of truth - I'm truly relieved that I'm able to do this job again after 20 years out of the field)

* DH has decided to take 3 weeks off this summer.  We will have a family vacation as well as some time off for just the two of us (we will celebrate our 30th anniversary somewhere).

* While this may seem not to be good news, I think it is.  My MIL passed away Monday after 14 years of dementia.  The last 7 months she was in a nursing home.  Up until then, my FIL took care of her.  They were married for 65.5 years.  The funeral will be tomorrow.  The last few months were not pretty or pleasant.  Her body was in fine shape, but her mind killed her.  It is a relief to see her released from the prison of her own mind.  It was heartbreaking to see her waste away.  I was holding her hand when she passed.  It was peaceful.  I'm truly grateful for that.

My dd has to have her wisdom teeth removed.  We have dental ins to help cover the costs.  The oral surgeon in the area was going to have me pay in full despite having in-network insurance because I wouldn't provide ssn's to the office.  (Our ins does not require that we use our ssn's for coverage.)  I said I would find another surgeon who wouldn't require our ssn's and he said to hold on that he would look into the matter himself.  He personally called this morning and said it was worked out that if I pay my costs before the service, he won't collect the whole fee in lieu of our ssn as is his standard practice.  I would have to pay the expected costs anyway before the procedure even if I provided our ssn's, so .....  Just glad it works out!

Moving into our new house next week and selling this one. So excited since it will mean more money every month (no house payment) once the house sells, the new house is bigger (500 square feet bigger), and it has a HUGE walk-in closet full of shelves right off the dining room where I can store ALL of our homeschool stuff so it's out of sight! Plus we'll be declutrering and simplifying our belongings by at least half during the move.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!  :hurray:  :party: