Menu

Got our evaluation results

And we have a total of four diagnoses. (Is that the correct plural)

My 6 year old has been diagnosed with:

ADHD, combined presentation

OCD

Unspecified Neuro developmental Disorder

Autism Spectrum Disorder, level one, without cognitive or language impairment

We were pretty much expecting all of it. She wants to retest in two years to see if she still falls on the spectrum. She said the OCD and ADHD could be contributing to the ASD diagnosis or vice versa.

Where do we go from here? We are already doing pretty much all she suggested besides meds. Her working memory was in the 13th percentile and her processing speed was in the 7th percentile. Good news though, my daughter who was once severely delayed in language tested in the 91st percentile in language skills!

Did she recommend any therapies or counseling?  Interactive Metronome has bumped processing speed on some kids when it started that low.  We've had at least two people on the boards go from single digits to 30s.  

Glad you felt like the evals were so accurate, even if it's a lot to process.   :grouphug: 

Did she recommend any therapies or counseling? Interactive Metronome has bumped processing speed on some kids when it started that low. We've had at least two people on the boards go from single digits to 30s.

Glad you felt like the evals were so accurate, even if it's a lot to process. :grouphug:

She recommended possibly trying out OT again for a short time. We didn't have great luck last time. I may do more research on metronome. I have read up on some of it before. She also recommended counseling for the OCD, and researching meds for the ADHD and OCD. I'm not sure how I feel about meds at this point.

Any suggestions for helping her with math. We currently use Singapore. I think she will need more fact practice than it can provide though. Any suggestions? That's one of her main issues with school. She understands the concept - just doesn't retain it

Also, she has a hard time recalling when I read to her. It has gotten some better though.

I agree with OhE, you may be expecting too much too soon.  Definitely do a lot of work with the manipulatives, play math games that are slightly challenging without being overwhelming, focus on a few things at a time, and give her a chance to mature developmentally.   You can also easily download free worksheets off the web if you feel she needs more of that type of practice, although it may not net you much if she isn't ready yet for that kind of practice.

Have you looked at the resources on this thread?

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/499692-looking-to-do-some-relaxed-math-here-want-to-share-ideas/

Many will be for an older child but you might find some things you can use.

Best wishes...