Menu

Spelling Bee Finals tomorrow

ElizabethB

I'll be rooting for the homeschoolers for sure. And Vanya, just because I think she's the cutest thing ever.

Dd went to the bee in 2006 and 4 year old Vanya sat on the floor behind us for round two. She was spelling words that the kids on the stage were spelling. She was an adorable little kid. I hope she wins before she ages out, but I do always root for homeschoolers. 

I do not like the newer rules in which they eliminate contestants after round six based on previous scores.   I was ok with the previous method of narrowing the field after round two. But by round six, just let the kids spell! There are 36 going in to round six. Just let these kids spell and stop trying to cater it to tv coverage. 

Vent over. For now.g

I can't bring myself to watch the final. Too stressful. And their sad little faces when they lose...that just kills me.

A few years ago, one boy misspelled his word and stood there for a few seconds, blinking away tears, and said, very softly, "I tried my best." That about ripped my heart out.