Menu

If you own, run, and/or manage a non-profit charity, recommend some resources for me?

6packofun

Dh is awaiting news on a job interview, one of only 3 or 4 he's had in over 3 years.  :(  If this is a no as well, we are taking it as a sign to go full steam ahead with the non-profit charity he has been wanting to start.  (NOT as a source of income right away, most likely, we get that!)  Any recommended resources for a couple of newbies?  Books, sites, words of wisdom?

Thank you!  (We have a trusted mentor who will be assisting with the financial side of things--thank GOODNESS--but I would still like to do some reading on finances, structuring, managing, etc.)

:lurk5: I don't have much for you, but I am interested in what others have experience with.  My son is getting his non-profit umbrella status in September.  The actual act of beginning the non-profit is incredibly extensive.  Pitching to an umbrella, then writing grants for a year and building business works much better.  This entire year has been working on getting that non-profit umbrella sponsorship.  It might be an avenue to look into.

The actual act of beginning the non-profit is incredibly extensive.  Pitching to an umbrella, then writing grants for a year and building business works much better.  This entire year has been working on getting that non-profit umbrella sponsorship.  It might be an avenue to look into.

I will look into it, thank you!

NH has a non-profit center that provides information for people getting started, and for maintaining one once it has begun.  Also, the NH Secretary of State office website has a bunch of publications on starting a nonprofit in NH.  Your state may have similar resources if you google "{your state} nonprofit".

Most libraries have this one, it is good:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Form-Nonprofit-Corporation-National-ebook/dp/B00D7O3XHI/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401341959&sr=1-4&keywords=nonprofit

The ducker book was horrible, I liked this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Forces-Good-High-Impact-Nonprofits-non-Franchise-ebook/dp/B007OWRBW2/ref=sr_1_19?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401342012&sr=1-19&keywords=nonprofit

I read a bunch and it has been a while now, I basically read everything our library had and inter library loaned the most highly starred Amazon ones that our library didn't have.

If you get serious, I really like my website software and web host and the company I use for donations and DVD sales, their costs are all very reasonable for the service, I did a lot of research before choosing each of them.