Menu

Beast Academy- when will 4C and D be done?

I think I lucked out - my kid didn't start BA until late last year, so we'll be able to go through 3 and 4 completely, even if 4D doesn't arrive until April or May of 2015. This time next year I'll be making decisions on what to do for her 5th grade math :( 

Yeah, we are just starting 4B, but I'm not even holding out hope that we'll do 4C at this point.  We'll probably get the guides I guess?  I'm not even sure about that.  A year ago I was optimistic that we'd be able to use all the 4th grade books, even if we used 4D a little late and now I'm not thinking that's going to happen.

Hoping no one minds my question here...I am thinking about doing some BA in between MM 4A and 4B. She is finishing up 4A and I would like her to review some before moving onto B...or at least do something different for a while. Which BA book would be appropriate? Thanks!

I think I lucked out - my kid didn't start BA until late last year, so we'll be able to go through 3 and 4 completely, even if 4D doesn't arrive until April or May of 2015. This time next year I'll be making decisions on what to do for her 5th grade math :(

Ugh, DS is in 3rd now and we'll start 4 this summer. Maybe we'll be on track for 5 when it's published. Oh what will we use if the monsters go away for 5? The idea of it makes me a bit queasy with this kid.

Hoping no one minds my question here...I am thinking about doing some BA in between MM 4A and 4B. She is finishing up 4A and I would like her to review some before moving onto B...or at least do something different for a while. Which BA book would be appropriate? Thanks!

I think your best bet is to check out the scope and sequence of each book on their website and decide what skills you want to cover. BA follows a very different path than MM. We've used MM here too and I didn't find a way to line them up. That said, the books are really fun and your daughter may enjoy the whole series from the beginning, as a change of pace.

Each one has something good to offer.  It would be awesome if you could skip around and just do various sections since some of them are extra challenging (squares in 3B, exponents in 4A), some are more outside the box thinking (shapes in 3A, variables in 3C), and some are good for reviewing and going a little deeper with foundations (estimation in 3D, multiplication in 3B or 4A)...  But, as you can see, they're all over the place and that would get expensive fast.  The story is continuing, but not super important to follow straight through.  My vote would be to try 3A since it has a lot more challenging stuff and outside the box stuff.  That shapes chapter is killer good and different.  Or, if you're keen on it being a little gentler and more review but still challenging Beast, maybe try 3D.  That estimation chapter was so good for thinking skills about math for ds.  It wasn't hard and new the way some Beast stuff is, but it kept making him think.

From reading their FB page it seems the rest of 4 will be about 6 months per book, so the next one should be out in Oct. They said they are hiring some more people to help and the production schedule is supposed to be speeding up, although an exact timeline hasn't been given. I'm hoping/planning to finish at least Grade 4, we will see though.

I'm in the same boat. Back when the production schedule was every 5 months, I thought for sure my now 3rd-grade son would be able to finish through 5, but I'm not so sure now. I think I may have to  bring MM back into the fold. He'll be starting 4A in the fall. I think he'll be able to start 5A in the fall of his 5th-grade year (if the production schedule stays on the track it is on), but after that we'll have to move on somehow...Maybe I'll just do filler in order to cement certain concepts, and then finish the series as it's published, and delay Pre-A...