Menu

online guitar lessons? beginner guitar?

Mama2two

My 8 year old is interesting in learning guitar. 

Would a student (36 inch) aucoustic nylon string guitar be the best things to start out with?

We have a full schedule and I already pay for piano lessons, so don't want to start guitar lessons unless I am sure she is serious.

Any recommendations for any of the free or low cost online video classes I see on the internet?  Or books?

My 8 year old is interesting in learning guitar. 

Would a student (36 inch) aucoustic nylon string guitar be the best things to start out with?

We have a full schedule and I already pay for piano lessons, so don't want to start guitar lessons unless I am sure she is serious.

Any recommendations for any of the free or low cost online video classes I see on the internet?  Or books?

I would say that guitar will be just fine.  Youtube has a ton of guitar lessons.  Type in "kids guitar lessons" or change kids to children's and beginner. 

If your 8 year old enjoys it and wants to stick with it, then I would recommend the homeschool Learn & Master Guitar with Steve Krenz.  It's not cheap though.  I can't remember what the recommended age is....older than 8 I'm sure.

I would say that guitar will be just fine.  Youtube has a ton of guitar lessons.  Type in "kids guitar lessons" or change kids to children's and beginner. 

If your 8 year old enjoys it and wants to stick with it, then I would recommend the homeschool Learn & Master Guitar with Steve Krenz.  It's not cheap though.  I can't remember what the recommended age is....older than 8 I'm sure.

I looked at the curriculum, and it looks great.  it is also on sale until June 1.  Looks like their recommendated age for the regular program is 10, but for the homeschool program they say a good starting age is 7-9 so thanks for the recommendation!

I looked at the curriculum, and it looks great.  it is also on sale until June 1.  Looks like their recommendated age for the regular program is 10, but for the homeschool program they say a good starting age is 7-9 so thanks for the recommendation!

If you get it, be sure to sign up for Steve's e-mails (unless a purchase automatically signs you up, I don't remember...and maybe you can sign up without a purchase).  He has live lessons every week.  We just went to our first live lesson tonight.  The guest was Rory Hoffman, who was born blind.  It was a really good lesson, a little over an hour.  Rory is a fantastic guitar player (plays it on his lap, and backwards).  What's really neat is that because it's a live lesson, there's a chat box.  Robin was able to chat along with the other people who were watching (several were from other countries).  3 or 4 prizes were given away (Robin didn't get any).  Anyway, it was really cool.  I really enjoyed it myself.