Menu

History for 5th grade?

Guest PhDSray

Guest PhDSray

New to the forums, so forgive me if I lack proper forum etiquette!  Am struggling with what to use for 5th grade history.  My eldest started with SOTW Ancients in K, and her younger by 2 years brother joined in for fun.  This worked great until we reached moderns.  At that point we skipped SOTW4 because of my concerns for his sensitive younger years, heeding SWB's advice not to expose younger kids to the messiness of the 20th century, and instead started over with ancients using a mishmash of sources....none of which I liked as much as SOTW.  Tried Tapestry of Grace...I wanted to scream.  Mystery of History...ugh. Love Sonlight's read alouds, but not as charged about their history spines.  I struggle with putting things together into a well-formulated weekly plan using the book recs in Well-Trained Mind.  Am thinking SWB will not be producing a Logic Stage history book in time for my fall semester start-up...(come on Susan, I know you're busy writing books for grown-ups, but I'm dying here!) , and yet she's ready for more meat than a repeat of SOTW Middle Ages.  Ideas anyone?!?

Thanks!

Many of us here use K12's Human Odyssey texts for middle years history.  Here's a link to a new version for samples, though you can often find them used on Amazon for less:

http://www.christianbook.com/the-human-odyssey-volume-1/9781931728539/pd/728534?product_redirect=1&Ntt=728534&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP

It is technically a textbook, which goes against the idea of classical, I know... but it's very well done.  Great tone, very complete coverage of all areas of the world, and interesting stories and biographies included.  Most people ask their student to do notebooking or outlining with it, and add in literature to coordinate where possible. 

Just a thought if you're looking for a change of pace!!  :)

For history SWB says to use a history encyclopedia for a spine...whether it be DK, Kingfisher, USborne - you have the child read the two page spread about the subject, write down 5-7 interesting facts from the pages, then go to the library and find a book about that subject (or a specific subject mentioned in the pages) and read more about it.

From that (library) book, she says to outline about 5-6 paragraphs from one page so they get outlining experience.

Pick whatever time period you want and go from there.  

Yes, you are putting this together yourself in a sense, but you can put the work on your child since they are old enough to do so...they pick the book they want by going to the library, typing in the subject and finding the book themselves.  You just have to take them to the library.

My DD used Oxford University Press Ancients Encyclopedia as a spine for her Ancients unit and K12 Human Odyssey as a spine for the middle ages (Using that now).  Then we also used the Classical Historian for essay writing and workbook activity to support her reading and give it more depth.  I am extremely pleased with these programs and we'll continue to use them through middle school.

We are loving BJU's 5th grade history which is 20th century US history. We are using the online course, but the book is great, too. The student activities manual has maps, summarizing, graphic organizers, and charts. I think it is presented in a very, age-appropriate way.