Menu

AP physics C at home?

Does anyone have recommendations for resources for doing AP physics C at home? Ds really hates video courses, and dislikes online courses. DH is more than qualified to teach him physics, but he would really like a course already planned out for him. I'm willing to do the planning part, if necessary, but I'd need book recommendations, etc. Something with answer solutions, not just the answer key would be ideal.

We're tentatively planning to have ds spread out mechanics over the first year, so I don't think it will be too tough. DS will be doing calculus simultaneously.

Also, is it possible to buy a lab kit anywhere?

In a previous thread, I outlined  what my kids did at home (self-study) for AP Physics C.

This was based on the Resnick and Halliday texts; my kids did not use any video instruction.

Some notes:

My syllabus is based on doing both mechanics and E&M in the same school year.

The lab book/kit we used seems to be out of print now.

I didn't use a solution manual, so you'd have to contact the publisher about that.

LOL, it's a pretty old thread!  I'm too tired to re-type it today. :p

Since you're doing calculus simultaneously, I'd recommend taking a look at the "Calculus Primer" materials written by David Green for kids in that situation, to get them off to a good start in AP mechanics. It gets top reviews on a physics teacher list that I'm on.

My ds took AP Physics B online last year, and will be taking AP Physics C mech, and E & M next year with the same instructor.  I ordered the lab components from Lab Paq last year.  I think they generally sell to those in an online school, but you could contact them and see if they will sell to an individual.  http://www.holscience.com/physics/physics

And I almost forgot about this edX class: https://www.edx.org/course/mitx/mitx-8-01x-classical-mechanics-853  I was going to use this for my son before I found out his current physics teacher was going to be teaching Physcis C in the fall (I still may have ds watch some of the videos).  Professor Lewin looks like an amazing teacher.  You HAVE to watch the introduction video.  It is great!!!!

And Dr. Lewin also has a E & M class!

My daughter self-studied for AP Physics B this year. One thing I wish we would've realized is how different the content in her textbook (Saxon Physics) was from what was covered on the exam. She rocked the problem sets and tests in her textbook and finished at the end of March. That left barely enough time to work through a test prep book and master that content because the two approaches were so different. If I could do it over again, I would use a recommended text, I'd look at any and every AP Physics syllabus I could get my hands on, and I'd have her start test prep in the fall.

Next year she is taking AP Phys C: Electricity & Magnetism and AP Phys C: Mechanics through Pennsylvania Homeschoolers. We found an awesome Calc and Physics tutor, but we hope the online class will have help specific to prepping for the exams.

Next year she is taking AP Phys C: Electricity & Magnetism and AP Phys C: Mechanics through Pennsylvania Homeschoolers.

This is the class my ds will be taking as well.  Ds had Mr. Lanctot for AP Physics B last year and really enjoyed the class.  He was well prepared for the exam.