Menu

How can this be - laundry product scent

marbel

Over the weekend my kids and I visited some family members.  We stayed in their house for 2 nights; all in all we were there about 36 hours.  When we got home and started taking clothes out of our suitcases, we discovered that all of our clothing, even stuff that never came out of our suitcases, carried the scent of their laundry products.  Thanks to allergies, we use only unscented products at home.   So we had to wash everything, even the clean stuff, and air out the duffel bags.  We hadn't noticed the smell while in the house, just in our stuff after we got home.

We also discovered that a quilt my sister had made for me reeked of the stuff.  That made more sense, because she surely had washed it before giving it to me.   But we didn't wash our clothes, just wore them.

Hindsight, we realized that it wasn't pollen that made one of my kids take a dose of benadryl in the car on the way home; it was the laundry product scents.

Anyway, I was just stunned that all our clothing picked up the scent so quickly.  Oh, our pillows too - not just the cases and covers, but the pillows themselves.    Is the air just full of molecules of this stuff, insinuating its way into every bit of fabric? 

Crazy.   

I don't know the scientific reason, but it happens all the time: my kids smell like my sister's perfume after we get home, I visit a friend in the hospital and come home smelling like the hospital... It does make me a little paranoid wondering what people smell like when they leave our house!

I remember visiting my mom once when she still smoked. Clothes of mine that had stayed in a closed suitcase in a closed upstairs bedroom smelled so bad that I had to wash them when I got home. Stinks get into everything.

I don't know the scientific reason, but it happens all the time: my kids smell like my sister's perfume after we get home, I visit a friend in the hospital and come home smelling like the hospital... It does make me a little paranoid wondering what people smell like when they leave our house!

Those of us with pets know the phenomenon well!  Take one pet to the vet and when you get home the others will sniff them up one side and down the other.  Cats will sometimes get almost aggressive with a usually loved buddy who comes back from a quick vet visit, all because of the smell.