Menu

Can we put a system in place for updating threads??

Moxie

So often, a thread will get started about a problem, the problem will be resolved somehow but people only read the original post before they add their two cents. I've done it (but in my defense, my comments are so important that people should read them even if they no longer pertain to the subject).

Or, people will post "update in post #127" but those of us on smart phones don't have numbers (and, again, this is all about me).

Could we come up with a standard way to update posts?? I propose that all updates be added at the bottom of the original post.

Something like--

Update #1. The police have been contacted and my neighbor with the pet rhino has been taken to jail to rot for all eternity.

What says the Hive???

I like the idea of having a protocol for updates. Not that I have any spectacular ideas for how it should work, though...I'll rely on greater minds to come up with that. 

I also like that Carolyn's autocorrect says "Unread? That's not interesting. How about Inresf? Much better!" That's an autocorrect with spirit.

I like when the update is posted in the OP and also in the thread. Then new readers will see the update right away and those who have already read through and are waiting for updates will see them in the new/unread posts.

I think either is fine and don't see a way to convince 10,000 people (or whatever the current active member count is right now) to do all updates in the same format.  If I can't figure out where the update is, I just switch my smartphone to download the entire forum, not just the phone version, and the non numbered post issue is resolved.

Well, we all know what teA is, right??? This is the same thing! If we all switch, my takeover is complete, um, I mean, it will become part of the culture here.

True, but I think teA has more contextual intrigue, so new posters are compelled to discover the board culture behind it. Not sure that can happen with updates, unless we say "UPDATE with teA!"

Well, we all know what teA is, right??? This is the same thing! If we all switch, my takeover is complete, um, I mean, it will become part of the culture here.

hmmm. okay.  But no, not everyone does understand about teA.  I don't see it as the same thing. Personally, I think of teA as verbal slang, not an unofficial posting rule. 

But I would say I have seen more threads, when the OP is often playfully teased over the innocent use of the word tea, and a sincere question (about the beverage that is drank),  that becomes overrun with puns, analogies and wordplay about s3x. 

I have seen far fewer legitimate threads, with the OP using the teA spelling or BooKs, utilizing the tribal knowledge on the forum of those two words.