Menu

IEW reviews for SWI-A vs. all things fun and fascinating

mamato3

I am trying to decide between these two for a co-op class next year. Can anyone point me to the best place to find IEW reviews or offer your own? Thanks! I am a part of their yahoo group for co-op teachers but haven't found much in the way of specific reviews.

My main concern is that SWI will take too much time watching the video. All things fun and fascinating seems very well laid out for a co-op setting but puts more on the teacher for presenting new information. This will be my first year so I like the idea of the videos. . .can't decide!

Following. We are doing one of these at home next year. 

I have been told that both are great. I have a 2nd and 3rd doing it next year. I am leaning toward AFF because I am not sure how my younger one will do with sitting through the videos.  If you are teaching AFF you will still need to watch the TWSS videos to understand the different units. You are supposed to do that with either product. The AFF teacher guide should tell you what video to watch and when. 

I can tell you that IEW has a co-op group on Yahoo so you can also ask there.  There seems to be a lot of good dialogue on there.

Practical question--if you did SWI-A would you be able to watch the whole video and cover what you needed to within your co-op period?  I ask this because having every student buy SWI-A would be a much greater expense than AFF. 

Watching the whole video in the class period is how it would have to work since I wouldn't want to ask everyone to make that investment so they could watch at home though that would be ideal. The video segments seem long - like 45 minutes, which is too much for a co op setting. But, I really want the extra support of Mr. P. Teach and I hear that kids love him.

I just don't feel like I can get enough information to make the best decision without buying it and actually previewing it. . .

I've not taught IEW in a co-op setting but in my homeschool I've been much more successful, and the kids have been happier, with the SWI/SICC's.  Despite having watched TWSS multiple times, using the themed studies just never worked for us.  If *I* had to teach a co-op class, I would be using the SWI, because that is the only way *I'd* be successful at it.  I don't see myself ever using another themed lesson because they just don't work well for me, and my kids LOVE watching the videos.  I'd have a major rebellion on my hands if I tried to switch, LOL!

I think either could be used very successfully but also think that success will vary depending on the experience and abilities of the teacher.  How experienced are you with IEW?  Have you taught IEW using a themed lesson or would this be your first? 

Do you have an idea who would be in the class (not sure if they are students with which you are already working).  If so, I'd find out if the parents have a preference either way.

IEW has an awesome money back guarantee so you could purchase an SWI, preview it, and return it if you feel that AFF will be a better fit.