Menu

Tablet for young children: Ipad mini or Kindle fire?

We only have ipads in my house, but I would like to gift a tablet (or two, in the case of Fire) to my sister's family. They have no tablets at all, and really no smart phones either. The main use of said tablets would be for their (very bright) 4 year old and 3 year old to be entertained via movies and apps on long drives (to see us ;)) and on long international flights which they have coming this summer.

What do you recommend? I can get one ipad mini or two kindle fires. DH, who keeps up with technology for a living, suggest the latter, but I do not use tablets at all myself, so it's hard for me to venture into the unknown (my kids use ipads). I'll do as the Hive says :)

The immersion reading on the Fire HD and Fire HDX is really really REALLY nice! I think there are actually more apps for the older HD that the new HDX. I'm not sure the thinner new model is worth fewer apps for young children.

If you are buying an iPad with a smaller hardrive, and depending on being able to reinstall from the cloud. DON'T!!!! There is bug in the software on the ipad that reads the "purchased" apps and they don't always show up, especially the "free" apps that you buy modules for from inside the app. And you can only discuss this by e-mail. Responses can take up to two day and Apple doesn't admit to this bug and just talks all around the issue.

To reply to the e-mails you wait two days for, can only be done in a single line, as there is something wrong with the e-mail they send. My level of frustration with a small storage iPad is HUGE.

I think I'm switching over to a Fire and Amazon prime. The Mayday feature is awesome, and the thin size of the HDX are wonderful, but the lack of apps and Flash is concerning, though. Maybe an HD.

Good luck!

iPad Mini.  IME, they're easier to use and accidental purchases are not an issue unless your kid memorizes your password. ;)  I know many people who had their kids buy random things on accident with the Kindles.  

As for some bug with reinstalling apps-I have never heard of that being an issue!

What a very nice thing that you're doing for your sister's family!

Our girls (8 and 6) each have their own Kindle Fire. They both use them to read, play games, email and watch netflix. I like them because they have great built-in parental controls :) The only issue I have with them is that the battery life is not the greatest (especially compared to an iPad).  Originally, my girls had just one they shared.  It is nice now that they each have their own, as they can customize them how they like and there is no competition for the device.

2 kindle fires....only time my firend's son made an accidential purchase was (1st time) oldest DS (18) turned off the password required "for a minute" to do something and forgot to put it back on and 2nd time was he was not in FreeTime.

Are they tech savvy?? If not the kindle would be fine. If they are, they might like the Nook HD better as it has Google play store (so more free apps etc.) and not tied to amazon for apps/books, etc.

Things may have changed a little, but our experience with the Fire was a total wash and we ended up selling it.  There were just no apps compared to the iPad.  I mean, sure, you could find something to play and amuse yourself on, but none of the creative or educational options that we had on the iPad hardly.

I'm glad I never got my iPad for the apps, since I can use so few of them right now. :lol:

I'm pretty tech savvy. I am NOT good at fighting with customer service, though. My PTSD just goes into overdrive when I get the run around. And I have a terrible personality flaw of not being able to deal with incompetence from authority figures, and "experts"; it's a problem.

For a LONG long time, I have preferred Amazon customer service to Apple's. Whether they are better in general, or just better with people like ME, I don't know.

We have a Kindle Fire that was a gift to us - and honestly I really like the Free Time option.  I am not tech savvy at all, but I like just how easily I can basically put the tablet into 'lock-down' mode and then not need to worry about it.  They can not get on the internet, they have to spend so much time on educational apps before other apps will show up, after their time is up on apps they can only read books, and after their screen time for the day is used up they can not read books on them and I can make it so that it does not work at all during certain times of the day, and it can be different for weekdays and weekends. And if I want too, it is also easy to take it out of the free time mode and have it be fully functioning again. We have found plenty of apps, and have even managed to get pay ones for free through the gold coin feature and special promotions.

Guest SitFrogSit

I totally recommend a Kindle Fire and we are an "Apple Ecosystem" at our house (iPad, iPhones, Apple TV, MacBook).  I have a Fire for my personal use (as well as a Kindle ereader) and love it as much or more than an iPad.  They are much cheaper, a nice size for one hand/little hands to hold, and Amazon customer service can't be beat.  Pair that with Kindle Free Time (and the $2.99 monthly fee for apps, books, and movies) and Amazon Prime and it's a no brainer.  Kindle Free Time is the best parental control out there right now and would not allow a child to make any purchases or surf the net.  Right now, Amazon may not have  have most of the apps out there for preschool , but they in comparison the ones they have are the higher quality options and the most popular apps (Peek a Boo Bar, Minecraft, etc.).  My current favorite option for the Fire is that you can now download movies and shows from Prime and they are saved to your account for 30 days of viewing away from WiFi.  Great for trips. So, for a child younger than 12, I feel that the Kindle is the best tablet for the money that you can buy.  Later, when texting and FaceTime come into play, I would consider an iPad mini just for those features.  

The regular Kindle Fire HD has been fine for us and can download shows and movies.  We have the smallest amount of memory as well.

Hope this helps!  What a lovely gift!

Meredith

Are you sure your sister actually wants her little kids to have a tablet. I just bought a cheap android tablet for my boys when the youngest turned five. Before that any tablet given to me would have been put in a high cupboard.

Assuming you know she wants them I quite like the look of the kindle fire (they are expensive here and not everything actually works) if you are in the US.

Are you sure your sister actually wants her little kids to have a tablet. I just bought a cheap android tablet for my boys when the youngest turned five. Before that any tablet given to me would have been put in a high cupboard.quote]

Yes. We are bad parents all around :)

We have regular size Ipad and each child has a non HD Fire, and I would say the Fire is not as good for young children.  There are not nearly as many good apps and the interface is not nearly so intuitive in all ways.

For my older the Fire was a good purchase.  For my younger, it mostly sits around unused  - she will occasionally use it when older DD is using the Ipad.   And even older still uses Ipad quite a bit since we have far more apps for it.

Oo, what a toss-up, there is the ability to FaceTime, but surely a KindleFire can skype?

With the Kindle Fire they can access NetFlix & what not can't they? Plus less fighting between two children who might have varying tastes & all ready be worn thin from long travel. I'd be tempted to go with the Fires because of that..

We quite like our iPad.  My 5 and 7 years olds love to play on them and there are SO MANY great apps that are free or cheap.  We also use it to FaceTime daddy when he's away (he on his phone) and Skype the grandparents (who don't have an apple product).  I use Amazon's Kindle app, the Cloudplayer app & the Instant Video app -- so obviously I get a lot of use out of my Amazon products ;) even with my iPad.

That said, I've been curious about the Fire... but I don't know if it offers *as much* as the iPad.  We have had issues with small storage :( -- next time I'd get a bigger storage tablet.