Menu

Before I fully commit to MBtP....

I think it looks like a great program. We haven't used it, but I have heard great things from others. My son will be going to a school next year that actually uses this program. I'm very excited about that! I hope someone with experience can answer this for you.

I saw this question when first posted but didn't know how to answer it from that angle.  My kids used to use the whole MBtP program, combined and modified for their own needs.  We've moved away from that as the kids' needs evolved and their interests and abilities became more ill-suited to the the MBtP package.  So, just answering for why we stopped using it-- if your kids are reluctant to do the projects as-written, are reading at a higher level than the MBtP books but are reluctant writers so that it is hard to identify approproate MBtP age levels, or are very science-y and are bored by the more basic MBtP science content in those early levels, it might not be a great fit.  We still use some of the lit units, highly modified for our use and supplemented by lots of other stuff.

You shouldn't use it if you aren't willing to pick and choose or modify to fit your needs.

I did some units with my kids (7-year-old and 9-year-old) and realized that some parts of it were just a bad fit. I cook with the kids as it is - why should we have to buy obscure ingredients to cook specific recipes they have?

Why should my son follow their instructions to build a tipi in one day? Those sorts of projects are useful when the child is assigned to "build a native american home" and then designs a home from materials at home, not when they are given a set of 10 steps to follow to build a tipi. 

I felt like some assignments were great and some were so-so. I would only use it if I decided beforehand to go through and delete/modify assignments that I didn't find especially worthwhile.

I saw this question when first posted but didn't know how to answer it from that angle. My kids used to use the whole MBtP program, combined and modified for their own needs. We've moved away from that as the kids' needs evolved and their interests and abilities became more ill-suited to the the MBtP package. So, just answering for why we stopped using it-- if your kids are reluctant to do the projects as-written, are reading at a higher level than the MBtP books but are reluctant writers so that it is hard to identify approproate MBtP age levels, or are very science-y and are bored by the more basic MBtP science content in those early levels, it might not be a great fit. We still use some of the lit units, highly modified for our use and supplemented by lots of other stuff.

See....that's where I am stuck. DS will be 7 and is ready for 6-8 except for the writing. He HATES writing. DD will be 6 and *might* be ready for 6-8 but is probably better suited to 5-7.....but DS would be bored silly with the literature in 5-7. I guess I could run both but getting two literature packets would be really hard on me and our library is minuscule.

I have the guides for both but need student books and literature. I was gifted 6-8 and got 5-7 beyond cheap. It's still ALOT of money and our budget is tight. Really tight (single mom). Right now, we have a good groove going....and I have the guide for Beautiful Feet Early American here, which may be a better fit with some tweaking.