Menu

Have You Used WinterPromise Animals And Their Worlds?

CAtoVA

I've used it, last year actually. I think for a young student living in the N. Hemisphere with a love for nature & animals you'll have a fantastic year.

The curriculum/theme is broken down by habitats. So you'll study animals in a given habitat while learning about that habitat. If you have a zoo near you & can afford a membership I'd encourage it for the animals in the book that won't be in your area. Have you peeked at the samples available over on their new website? {It's not new as much as updated.. incase you thought you needed a new url}

You can check out a PORTION of the wood's study here. Anoher thought is that if you're worried about your location & the variety of habitats spoken about & so forth you could go to their sister site {Spirited Autumn Hope} & purchase just that habitats you're keen on. Honestly though, the whole study is beautiful. I will say we swapped the devotional for one we had that is animal based & just did a devotion {or more} each week that were based on habitat of animals we were reading about.

You'll use the 1 Small Square books, DK Animal Encyclopaedia {absolutely beautiful}, & then for children from Grade 1 upward you'll use a christian based science book {Animal Worlds from the God's Design Series}. There's Notebooking pages & a lovely bound book that you fill in as you go along all year {these two being WP Exclusives} One thing to keep in mind, so you aren't too shocked, the Animal Height chart is 13' tall. The year we did this we lived in a home with high/raise ceilings so we had the ability to stack 2 tables & a bar stool to reach the crazy top & hang up our chart. ;) There are directions for making it work without such ridiculously high ceilings. :D

A Day is very simple with reading a few pages from various texts, a chapter of your read aloud, & often hands on nature investigation. That would be things like watching the changing seasons of a tree, marking off a "one small square" in your own backyard & watching what comes & goes, etc.

Thank you so much kolamum for that thoughtful response! I live in the mid-Atlantic United States and we have four pretty defined seasons which is great for nature study. I'm also 1-2 hours from two zoos so that would work.

On a side note, I keep hearing that there are problems with shipping of items and and bad customer service to get missing items. Did you experience this problem with Winterpromise?

Wow, mumkins, LOL. Were you already a little "put off" by animal study—like it wasn't a favorite in the first place?

For me, I'm thinking of putting it alongside an around the world geography continent study so it's not our only science. We will be doing a more diverse science curriculum as well (basic and gentle) two days a week.

We bought an alteration for grades 3-6 that they no longer sell.  Absolutely loved the Journal!

As for shipping and customer service, we didn't have a prolem at all. They did have had some difficulties quite awhile ago and the bad reputation has stuck with them. 

I talked to them on the phone before purchasing and they were very sweet and informative.  I think the shipping is probably about the same as Rainbow, so for those that use Amazon Prime, its a  long, hard wait :)

Wow, mumkins, LOL. Were you already a little "put off" by animal study—like it wasn't a favorite in the first place?

For me, I'm thinking of putting it alongside an around the world geography continent study so it's not our only science. We will be doing a more diverse science curriculum as well (basic and gentle) two days a week.

Wow that seems like a lot.  I know from my own experience (and at least two of my friends) that Winter Promise programs take a LOT of time.   I haven't used ATW, although I own an older copy.. but I have used American Story 1 and Children Around the World.  

What Geography study are you wanting to put it beside??  My friend Andrea did Expedition Earth last year and blogged about it here ..  http://thehomeschoolingjourney.blogspot.com/search/label/Expedition%20Earth

It seemed to include a lot of animals.  I wonder if that might be something you could look at to combine and condense.  If you wanted more.. you could always get The Complete Book of Animals, the one small square books and/or the DK Animal Encyclopedia mentioned above to look at or notebook from. 

Scholastic's Easy Make and Learn Animal Habitats e-book is on sale for $1 right now too..  http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/easy-make-learn-projects-animal-habitats-mkt11260

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.. 

Take a look at Sassafras Science Adventures by Elemental Science. Volume one is Zoology, habitats, and biomes. I am currently using it with DD 9 and DD 6. We are really liking it. It is NOT an all in one so it may not be what you are looking for in a program.

Take a look at Sassafras Science Adventures by Elemental Science. Volume one is Zoology, habitats, and biomes. I am currently using it with DD 9 and DD 6. We are really liking it. It is NOT an all in one so it may not be what you are looking for in a program.

My son is not an animal fanatic, so I got him Sea and Sky and my younger daughter Animal World.

We ended up ditching S&S and just focussing on AW. I found it to not be just about animals - but also about habitats, ecosystems, biomes, geography, etc.

We really liked it. 

Hated it. Ditched it in January. I got so sick of all animals, nothing but animals, all day, every day. If you can handle that, it's alright. It killed the desire in me to ever study animal stuff again, lol.

What were you expecting with a title like Animals and Their Worlds? 

I bought it to use when my boys were k and 1st and we didn't like it.  This was YEARS ago so things might have changed--

The readalouds were duds for us and we found we didn't enjoy the notebooking.  I stopped using it and sold off everything except the Animal Encyclopedia--we ended up reading through that during the year and my DS2 fell in love with animals--

We had tried the Preschool program in 2005-ish (cant' remember the name, but NOT journeys of imagination -- the other one) and really disliked it and had a bunch of books that were backordered and then they forgot to send them--not good customer service, I had to stay on them to get my order complete.  So I did buy AW with a bad taste already.

For the right kid, it might be a great fit.  It was not our style and dealing with the company (and their awful website) was hard.  I bought Journeys of Imagination 2 years ago for my youngest and it was pretty awful.

Betsy

Thank you so much kolamum for that thoughtful response! I live in the mid-Atlantic United States and we have four pretty defined seasons which is great for nature study. I'm also 1-2 hours from two zoos so that would work.

On a side note, I keep hearing that there are problems with shipping of items and and bad customer service to get missing items. Did you experience this problem with Winterpromise?

I heard this too back when I was looking at WP the first time. The big thing I heard, living overseas, was that it took a long time to get the things WP didn't publish themselves. So, I made the choice to order the WP exclusives from WP {only option} & order my books from Book Depository which ships free to me anyway. Had no issues at all. The items from WP that I did order showed up quickly. It's was that simple. :D

ETA: I haven't had any issues with CS either. I've spoken on the phone & via email without problems. :)

Oh no Betsy, all the Read alouds were duds?! The only one my boy that was doing the Theme wasn't super keen on was Christopher Mouse, but I think he struggled with the "sadness" of the book, his older brother was on the edge of his seat listening in. ;) I added in a few read alouds to the theme.. things that are classic animal stories like Black Beauty, Why The Whales Came, etc. He was too young to read them on his own, but he loved listening to his own "special" book. :D

I used it a long time ago as a science program and added in lots of extras which you can see here:

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/extras/animals_extras/science_animals_gravy.html

The extras don't match up with the new schedule though as the program was revamped/changed. I didn't order any of the younger kid books like the Animal Alphabet book. I did get some of the L.A. readers that matched up with the program.

My son really enjoyed the program. He learned a lot of interesting things and never got tired of it. We also had some great read-alouds from that program that I never would have picked up otherwise like The Tarantula in My Purse. I'm not sure if that book is still scheduled as titles were added and removed since I did the program (6 years ago).

Anyway, it was a worthwhile and fun experience that was very age appropriate. I would do it again. :-)

Oh no Betsy, all the Read alouds were duds?! The only one my boy that was doing the Theme wasn't super keen on was Christopher Mouse, but I think he struggled with the "sadness" of the book, his older brother was on the edge of his seat listening in. ;) I added in a few read alouds to the theme.. things that are classic animal stories like Black Beauty, Why The Whales Came, etc. He was too young to read them on his own, but he loved listening to his own "special" book. :D

Well, we didn't make it past about 8 or 10 weeks and gave up--the first one was "Socks"--and even though we are cat people, we just didn't click with that.  And I love Beverly Cleary too--somehow that book just fizzled.  I can't remember what else we read---

I know I hung on to Tarantula in My Purse and my 4th grader read that this year; I have Coyote Autumn on the shelf, not read yet.

For the age range they gave at the time (K-3rd or so), we didn't find the read alouds terribly age-appropriate--but they may have changed and YMMV, of course :)

Betsy