Menu

most independant History and science for 2nd grader

Other than doing SOTW on audio in the car and talking about together - I don't think it's realistic to expect a 7/8 year old to get anything out of history or science on their own. At that age my kids would listen to SOTW - and enjoy it - but without discussion it was pointless.

Veritas Press Self Paced History is a great option less teacher intensive program - but again - 2nd grade is really young and they'll need to be closely monitored for it to be worth your investment or for them to process what they watch.

If your kid is a strong reader you could provide lots of good historical fiction/login science books that are age appropriate, but expecting them to get some on their own what you can't be done with them is, IMHO, a recipe for disappointment and frustration.

At that age history and science don't need to be a by deal. SOTW is a couple 20-30 minute sessions two of three times a week. Science - read some good living books and see if any local nature places have free kid programs. Collect bugs. Talk about the weather. Watch The Magic School Bus and talk about it . Don't over think it or make yourself miserable, or expect a kid to get it done and then be disappointmed. Relax. You got this!!!

SOTW audio and Magic School Bus DVDs.  :-) 

If your child is a strong reader, I would add in reading an encyclopedia page for history and filling out a timeline, and a book like Let's Read and Find Out for science once a week. 

But I think if you get in a lot of outside time in a natural area, you are covered for 2nd grade science.  :-) 

Connect The Thoughts materials are directed to the student even at young grades, but I've never seen them personally, so can't recommend for or against. 

Is there such a thing?

I guess if you want bare bones and it doesn't matter whether he's on the four-year cycle, then Evan-Moor Daily Science at whatever level you deem appropriate might be your ticket. You could always assign additional reading and/or check out some Magic School Bus or Bill Nye videos from the library to supplement, but the lessons wouldn't hing on you doing so.

http://www.evan-moor...science-grade-2

At the end of this school year in second grade, I assigned reading of a biography to my DD.  She read from the "Who Was" series and did a blank notebooking page for each chapter.  Her instructions were to read the chapter and then write down the interesting facts.  She would then add a picture to it as well.  This means that we got some funny, often strange pages because I told her to write what was interesting to HER, but it worked well and she really enjoyed reading about different characters.  In the last couple of months she read about Claude Monet, Marco Polo, and Sacagawea.  Our library has most (if not all) of the series and we used these pages for the notebooking: http://notebookingfairy.com/2011/06/biography-notebooking-pages/ 

For Science, what about getting the entire Magic School Bus series and having your DC watch one each week.  You can then add the book that goes with it and do an experiment.  It would still require some help from you, but less.  We've done that as well.

HTH!

Bill Nye DVDs, Peter Weatherall, Real World Science. If you could afford a subscription to Discovery Streaming it might be worth it. There are hundreds of videos on many science topics. If not you might be able to find some good stuff on YouTube. I would also get library books and set them in a basket as assigned reading each week. Get one with basic experiments and provide access to a science box full of things that one would need to carry out the experiments. My son reads Mandel's Physics for Kids book by himself and makes the experiments by himself.

For History I really like The Complete Book of US History. There is a World History version we have not read yet also. My son can read the former, but we need discussion. Discovery Streaming also has history shows, as does YouTube. For Mercian Revolution my son has learnt a lot from Watch Liberty's Kids. Also create a basket of books for history.

Thanks you guys!  Ya I kinda of figured that there wasn't really anything that was independant at this age.  Wish we had library acess that would help but we do have  a decent home library of history/science books.  Was looking at Sonlight science today.  Maybe we will try that and he could read indepenantly and then we could discuss and answer questions together.  That might be a good fit.  I think I am going to go ahead and order some science videos too for the fall.  magic school bus sounds good and we do love the books.  Also bill nyle seem to get mentioned alot.