Menu

When to add logic?

WahM

I don't think it's needed in early elementary. But some of them are fun! My kids enjoyed the workbooks from Prufrock Press. Really fun! We started Lollipop Logic in K. I plan to do formal logic through CAP in middle school I think.

I think true logic programs (like Memoria Press, CAP, and others), shouldn't start until they are cognitively mature enough to handle abstract and linguistically complex thoughts (7-9th grade to begin with).  Logic puzzles and reasoning can start at any time.  My kids love logic puzzles, analogies, sequencing puzzles, etc. 

I plan on adding logic as a subject when my kid's hit the logic stage (around 5th) and are ready to begin to think critically.  But I know many on these boards start much younger, even in Pre-K or K.  A lot of my decision is streamlining; we only have so much time, and logic is not what I'm valuing most right now.  If I had a puzzle-adoring kid I might add it "for fun".    

Thanks for the responses. I was planning on adding in for my DD after the elementry years. She has some health issues, so we really have to cut out anything that's not necessary. I see it mentioned often and wanted to make sure we werent missing anything crucial right now.