Menu

Unusual Writing Experience with DD today...:)

DD13 and I were working on Barton but she was also eating a snack.  She is right handed.  She has always shown dominance with her right hand.  But she was holding her snack in her right hand and was loathe to put it down.  She had a dry erase board in front of her, one with lines on it and a marker.  I was dictating some words for her to spell.  She picked up the marker with her left hand and began writing the words.  She spelled every one of them correctly and her writing was really pretty...but the words were absolutely backwards and every single letter flipped.  She started in the middle of the dry erase board and wrote right to left, word reversed and letters flipped.

It would have taken a tremendous amount of effort for me to write reversed with every letter flipped and write it with my left hand.  

I waited til she was done, then pointed out what had happened.  She studied it then tried to write the word reversed with the letters flipped with her right hand.  She had to concentrate.  Then she tried writing backwards in cursive with her left hand, instead of print.  Looked great, with little effort.  She then tried writing with her left hand but with the word going in the correct direction and the letters not flipped. She had to concentrate.  

She was fascinated and started trying different combinations of things but realized that the only way she can keep her b and d straight is to use the techniques that Barton taught her and that HAS to be while writing the word going from left to right and the letters facing the correct way with her right hand so she got nervous about writing with her left hand too much.  She doesn't want to go back to being confused.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting and decided to share...  :)

My boys did the word reversal thing on purpose. It turns out useful for geometry. My older say he just flip it in his head to kind of mirror image.

My 8 year old is right hand dominant but can write and eat using his left hand if he wants to.

Its always interesting when kids do atypical stuff that surprises us :)

Dd used to write like Leonardo Da Vinci - left to right and when she got to the end of the line she would keep going on the next line right to left.  

Wow.  Interesting.  

What I would love is a brain scan in real time while I am writing and while DD is writing, switching hands upon occasion, and compare the two.  Really curious what parts of the brain would be active and how much....

I find it much easier to write mirror writing with my left (non-dominant) hand. I think it's the natural tendency, because when I used to teach piano, I found that students tend to find scales in contrary motion (ie, starting near the middle of the piano and playing up with the right hand while going down with the left hand) easier than hands together scales in parallel motion. In the former, the L.H. 'follows' the R.H automatically, whereas in the latter, the L.H. tends to 'get lost' until the student has practiced it enough.

I find it much easier to write mirror writing with my left (non-dominant) hand. I think it's the natural tendency, because when I used to teach piano, I found that students tend to find scales in contrary motion (ie, starting near the middle of the piano and playing up with the right hand while going down with the left hand) easier than hands together scales in parallel motion. In the former, the L.H. 'follow's' the R.H automatically, whereas in the latter, the L.H. tends to 'get lost' until the student has practiced it enough.

That is really interesting!  I wonder if anyone has done a study...

I am honestly really excited about all the wonderful brain studies being done now.  There is so much going on in our brains that we could only guess at before.  With the more accurate brain scans being done in real time as people perform various activities so much is opening up.  Brains fascinate me.   :)

And raising and homeschooling two kids that think very differently than me and each other has really increased my fascination with...well...everything.  But especially brains.  (now I sound like a zombie :) ).

Perhaps you could try 'air-writing' letters of the alphabet.

But use both hands at the same time, and air-write in reverse/mirror with the other hand.

Where you will probably find that write in reverse with the other hand, automatically?

The 2 sides of the body and brain, have a mirror relationship with other. 

So that when we bring both hands together, it can cope with both hands moving in opposite directions.

But this makes me wonder about an age where the pen has disappeared and been fully replaced by the keyboard?

Where the concern with identifying a child's handedness, is very much tied up with identifying which hand to learn to use a pen to write with.

Though if children start to learn to write with a keyboard, and using a pen is just something taught in art lessons?

Without a need to identify which hand to learn to write with?

With both hands used on a keyboard.

But with children growing up using cell phones and 'texting'?

No doubt these large 2 handed keyboards, will disappear and be replaced by a handheld keyboard.

Yet a handheld keyboard comes back to using one hand?

Where it would be useful to be able use a handheld keyboard with either hand.

So that one could use the non-dominant hand for the keyboard, leaving the dominant hand free to use in other ways.

My dd used to do stuff like that fairly often when she was younger. It was with her dominant hand, though, and generally when she was rushing. She never does it anymore, and I'm pretty sure could never do it on purpose - it just happened that way sometimes. 

More importantly - what was this wonder snack??  :lol:

My dd used to do stuff like that fairly often when she was younger. It was with her dominant hand, though, and generally when she was rushing. She never does it anymore, and I'm pretty sure could never do it on purpose - it just happened that way sometimes. 

More importantly - what was this wonder snack??  :lol:

Actually, it was a pancake.  :)  She had cooked whole grain pancakes.  She will cook them for breakfast for everyone, then save some for snacks for the rest of the week.  She sometimes likes to roll them up and just eat them with her hand, no syrup.

Where the concern with identifying a child's handedness, is very much tied up with identifying which hand to learn to use a pen to write with.

So that one could use the non-dominant hand for the keyboard, leaving the dominant hand free to use in other ways.

My piano teachers and also for violin has to figure out which is my dominant hand. Same for sports like squash, tennis and golf. The reason for piano is that a few exam pieces favor the left hander while most exam pieces favor the right hander. It was easier for me to score higher with a piece for left handers.

I use my left hand for typing on the iPod so I could eat or write or make a cup of coffee with my right hand.