Menu

Please tell me about Hake/Saxon Grammar and Writing program

Pen

What is good, what is bad about it?

How easy or hard to use?

Did your dc like it?

Would one tend to need it on grade level or above or below if starting in what for it would be the middle somewhere?

Does it spiral such that each level has review of prior levels?

Any other information about it, or thought, or experience you could give would be helpful.

My 12 year old has not yet had an intensive grammar program (dyslexia and dysgraphia issues had to be dealt with first), but seems ready for that now.

I have book 7. It does spiral, BUT the exercises are not canned, as I'm assuming the lower levels are. The writing exercises are either not explicit, or the lower levels cover the explicit material.

I really cannot review this series until I get a chance to see some of the lower levels.

Because I have all of CGE on my shelves, I shopped my bookshelves instead of seeing if the lower levels of Hake would fill in the missing pieces of Hake 7. I do NOT agree with the publisher recommendation that a 7th grader at a 7th grade reading level can hop into Hake 7.

I've got enough stuff hanging around here, that I could easily supplement Hake 7 and make it work. But if a parent/teacher is looking for open and go, a lesson a day, and retention, I wouldn't place a grammar weak 7th grader in Hake 7.

I have book 7. It does spiral, BUT the exercises are not canned, as I'm assuming the lower levels are. The writing exercises are either not explicit, or the lower levels cover the explicit material.

I really cannot review this series until I get a chance to see some of the lower levels.

Because I have all of CGE on my shelves, I shopped my bookshelves instead of seeing if the lower levels of Hake would fill in the missing pieces of Hake 7. I do NOT agree with the publisher recommendation that a 7th grader at a 7th grade reading level can hop into Hake 7.

I've got enough stuff hanging around here, that I could easily supplement Hake 7 and make it work. But if a parent/teacher is looking for open and go, a lesson a day, and retention, I wouldn't place a grammar weak 7th grader in Hake 7.

What is CGE?

So, it sounds like we'd need to get at least Hake 6.  I wonder if even Hake 5 would be better. Or some supplement maybe. We do have grammar guides, but he needs a lot more practice and reinforcement.  

What is good, what is bad about it?

It's open and go, minimal/no teacher prep, spiral and thorough.

Teaches 2 vocab words per lesson.

How easy or hard to use?

Super easy.

Did your dc like it?

They do it because I tell them to.  :D

Would one tend to need it on grade level or above or below if starting in what for it would be the middle somewhere?

If a child has little or no grammar experience then start below level.

Does it spiral such that each level has review of prior levels?

Yes!

Any other information about it, or thought, or experience you could give would be helpful.

Like Saxon math, it's an incremental approach in both the grammar and writing portions.

You can omit the writing, journaling, or dictation, and just do the grammar - or do any combination you choose.

I have Hake 4 thru 8.

Because I have all of CGE on my shelves, I shopped my bookshelves instead of seeing if the lower levels of Hake would fill in the missing pieces of Hake 7.  

I'm curious, what do you find lacking?

And you wouldn't place a weak 7th grader in Hake 7 because it's too difficult or too weak?  Again, just wondering.   :)

Thank you all!

Any more comments or suggestions about how you used it that has been working for your family would still be appreciated.

I saw a scope and sequence  that shows the coverage of 4-6 to be about the same, but the dictation for 6 looks suitable for my ds, so I have decided to go order level 6 right now. That part is decided.

I'm curious, what do you find lacking?

And you wouldn't place a weak 7th grader in Hake 7 because it's too difficult or too weak?  Again, just wondering.   :)

Hake 7 is too hard for a weak 7th grader. The writing was not easy, and it didn't include enough instruction, which made it even harder. Without having seen the earlier levels, I don't know if the instruction was included in earlier levels.

CGE is the Amish Climbing to Good English series.

Hake is a lot more politically correct than CGE. CGE has these run on sentences to be corrected, "Ella is a cripple she can't walk But she is very cheerful we love her."  :ack2:

The writing exercises are really good, though. CGE is more writing and less grammar than Hake.

They are both meant to be open-and-go comp and grammar with daily lessons. Each has it's own strengths and weaknesses.

My 5th grader just finished Hake 5.  I liked it.  It was open and go and he was able to work independently most days, unless he didn't understand something.  Lots of review in each lesson which is needed with my ds.  We didn't do the writing part; just the grammar.  I haven't had a chance to see the other levels so, I can't recommend the best place to start. Starting at a lower level might be better if your son hasn't had any grammar yet.  That way it isn't overwhelming and frustrating for him.

However, if you like or need the spiral method, I think you would like Hake.