Menu

Looking for a place to stay in Williamsburg, Va...

PeacefulChaos

We've been down there the past two years and both times stayed at Historic Powhatan Resort.  It's a timeshare complex, but they always have extra apartments to rent and appear to be willing to do so fairly cheap.  It's been cheaper than any hotel or other option we could find (through Kayak etc., anyway) for 5 people, cheaper even than one-room 'suite' hotels without a kitchen or pool.  It has both indoor and outdoor pools, and a fully stocked kitchen.  We got an upstairs 2-bedroom apartment with 2 bathrooms and there's a pull-out in the living room.  The stupid timeshare spiel is optional to sit through if you book it like a hotel (this is what we did, we do not have a timeshare).  It's very close to Colonial Williamsburg.  It's not swanky; the last apt. had kitchen drawers that didn't all pull out without some extra coaxing, but they were clean and roomy and conveniently located.  The only PITA is that there is no free WiFi.  You can get WiFi, but they expect you to pay. :glare: :confused1:   I just used the 4G on my phone...

Also, this last time we went they offered us a $50 gift card up front, 3 nights for $150, and and another $100 if we booked again within a year (so net $0) and listened to a spiel (locations were Wililamsburg again, Orlando, or someplace else I can't remember).  We ended up doing that, as I think we can get enough frequent flier miles together for most of us to go to Orlando next winter, and the kids are almost grown and we've never been to Disney World  (Disneyland once, but never to any of the parks in Florida).  So I figured this might be a way to see the Florida parks without spending lots of $$$...

I'll check into those!

We love GWL, too - probably not staying there for this trip though. We usually consider that a trip in itself, not so much a home base for a trip to see other things. I would consider it if they were offering one of their great homeschool deals (the last time we went, it was $139/night for ANY room, offered 2-3x/year - now all they seem to have is a percentage off, which isn't anywhere near as good :/ ) but they also don't have full kitchens in any of their suites, even the largest ones...just a mini fridge and microwave.

Definitely want a pool, though. :)

We've been down there the past two years and both times stayed at Historic Powhatan Resort.  It's a timeshare complex, but they always have extra apartments to rent and appear to be willing to do so fairly cheap.  It's been cheaper than any hotel or other option we could find (through Kayak etc., anyway) for 5 people, cheaper even than one-room 'suite' hotels without a kitchen or pool.  It has both indoor and outdoor pools, and a fully stocked kitchen.  We got an upstairs 2-bedroom apartment with 2 bathrooms and there's a pull-out in the living room.  The stupid timeshare spiel is optional to sit through if you book it like a hotel (this is what we did, we do not have a timeshare).  It's very close to Colonial Williamsburg.  It's not swanky; the last apt. had kitchen drawers that didn't all pull out without some extra coaxing, but they were clean and roomy and conveniently located.  The only PITA is that there is no free WiFi.  You can get WiFi, but they expect you to pay. :glare: :confused1:   I just used the 4G on my phone...

Also, this last time we went they offered us a $50 gift card up front, 3 nights for $150, and and another $100 if we booked again within a year (so net $0) and listened to a spiel (locations were Wililamsburg again, Orlando, or someplace else I can't remember).  We ended up doing that, as I think we can get enough frequent flier miles together for most of us to go to Orlando next winter, and the kids are almost grown and we've never been to Disney World  (Disneyland once, but never to any of the parks in Florida).  So I figured this might be a way to see the Florida parks without spending lots of $$$...

I second this. It was a few years ago, but I recall the price for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo with full kitchen, LR, DR, washer/dryer, hot tub and access to their pools being comparable to the price of a hotel in town--and everyone had a bed! It was a lovely place to stay. Driving into historic Williamsburg , to Jamestown, etc. was very easy from there. We avoided the spiel. We rented through vrbo

We also stayed at Patriots Place. We got a one-bedroom, and it was fine for our family of four, but I would have preferred a second bedroom if available. Wyndham has a few timeshare resorts in the area, and Patriots Place is one of their older ones. But the grounds were lovely, and the pool was very nice. Location was very convenient.

We got a steal of a deal through http://www.getravelop.com/ It rents out excess timeshare inventory for less than $400/week. You need to be a gov't employee OR A FRIEND of a gov't employee - so if you know a teacher, police officer, firefighter, bureaucrat (like my dh :patriot: ), you're covered. We've booked through them three times now (Virginia, Vermont, the Berkshires), and they've never asked for any identification or proof so I think it's a cover so owners don't get outraged that they're renting out units for so little $$. Inventory changes all the time, so if you don't see something suitable right now, keep checking back.