Menu

What color socks for boy's/men's suits

Scarlett

Match socks to pants.  The shoes should coordinate, but will usually be darker.  If you were to match socks to shoes your guy would look as if he were marching around in work boots rather than dress shoes.  

Ok, that is what I've always thought. But my ss13 has a light tan suit and wears black dress shows with it. The light socks just seem wrong....I know he probably needs brown shoes and that would solve the problem.....the black shoes look ok to me....until I see the socks!

Ok, that is what I've always thought. But my ss13 has a light tan suit and wears black dress shows with it. The light socks just seem wrong....I know he probably needs brown shoes and that would solve the problem.....the black shoes look ok to me....until I see the socks!

The black shoes with the tan suit can look really sharp.  Try a sock that is a shade darker than the suit.

Yeah, for a traditional look they should match the pants, but you shouldn't wear black dress shoes with a tan suit. He does need brown shoes for that. Also, his belt should match his shoes. 

I know.....but I am not buying a brown pair for a suit that he is just about to grow out of. His other two new suits are black, so we are good there.

Now ds has a new grey suit.....can he get by with his black shoes with that? Hmmm..... He hasn't worn it yet, guess I better go see how it looks.

As others said, socks should match the pants. However, I'm happy if they wear dressy socks at all instead of white athletic socks. Sigh.

At my wedding, my sibling's SO wore athletic socks with a dark suit. It was all my mother talked about for weeks.

Socks should coordinate with the pants.  

Shoes and belts should match each other and coordinate with the outfit.

Ties and pocket squares or handkerchiefs should coordinate with the shirt and also complement and finish the overall outfit.

Fortunately my DH has a good sense of style and can dress himself well.  Sometimes I think he even has a little fun with it.   I have a friend who is married to a wonderful man that just isn't so fortunate. She has coordinated his walk in closet so his outfits are all put together (i.e.. suit, or jacket, shirt, tie, handkerchief, socks on one hanger and the hanger style that outfit is on directs him to what shoes/belt he is supposed to wear with it).  I admit I laughed when she explained this but they are both physicians and he would seriously be calling her when she was finishing up a night shift to help him put his clothes together in the morning.  

Now ds has a new grey suit.....can he get by with his black shoes with that? Hmmm..... He hasn't worn it yet, guess I better go see how it looks.

It depends on the suit and the shade/hue of grey.  In some cases black would work well.  In other lighter shoes would be better.  It also to an extent depends on the shirt and other accessories worn.  You want everything to coordinate and complement.

I know.....but I am not buying a brown pair for a suit that he is just about to grow out of. His other two new suits are black, so we are good there.

Black is fairly standard with grey.  He should again go with a grey sock.

I will say again that the tan/black shoes combo certainly can work and work well.  Make sure the belt matches the shoes, and as I mentioned, try a sock that is a bit darker than the pants.  Getting the right tie helps as well - I prefer something with a little black (like small diamond designs) worked in to help bring the shoes/belt/tie together.

It depends on the suit and the shade/hue of grey. In some cases black would work well. In other lighter shoes would be better. It also to an extent depends on the shirt and other accessories worn. You want everything to coordinate and complement.

He is 14 and has strong opinions on all of that. He got a red shirt, and a white one and a black one. He wears the black shirt with black suit and turquoise tie.

I just looked at the new grey one.... Definite medium grey and the hue will work fine with black shoes.

Black is fairly standard with grey. He should again go with a grey sock.

I will say again that the tan/black shoes combo certainly can work and work well. Make sure the belt matches the shoes, and as I mentioned, try a sock that is a bit darker than the pants. Getting the right tie helps as well - I prefer something with a little black (like small diamond designs) worked in to help bring the shoes/belt/tie together.

He does have black belt but keeps his jacket on anyway. He wears a red shirt with the tan and a tie with some black in it...looks pretty good.