Menu

Voicing Answers--How long is that okay?

My son is at the end of first grade and often says answers out loud, to himself, while doing his work. This doesn't particularly bother me, but I also remember that in traditional school it was discouraged. (Just as often by other kids as the teacher.) Should I discourage him, as well? Is it developmental and he'll stop doing it at some point? 

For examples, he'll say math problems as he's doing them as well as say each letter/word as he's doing copywork. 

Thanks!

I believe it is developmental, though some people just have to speak to focus. I have a grad student as my TA and she is a brilliant young womanwho still does the calculations to undergrad math in a whisper. Shes 27, extremely accurate and I couldn't care less. Personally I mutter definitions and talk or hum to myself while working. Most of the people in my department talk to, whisper or mutter to themselves when they are deep in thought. My old mentor used to grunt which was unsettling at first but I wasn't about to comment on it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the only thing wrong with doing it in class is that he can disturb the other kids who are working as well. Unless you have more kids working along side him, or he is disturbing you with it, I can't imagine why he would have to stop...Odds are good that he'll outgrow it, or eventually only do it for the important mentally taxing stuff.

Good to know! It really doesn't bother me and sometimes it's nice because I can hear how he's working through something. I just have such a strong memory of being "shhh-ed" in school and it made me question why. My husband also whispers whatever he's working on, as well. 

Here we have the opposite problem...I just now gave Lily my oft-repeated lecture about re-reading her writing out loud.  There are times I have told her to work quietly because she is disturbing me, but I am more often encouraging her to talk through her work aloud so I can hear her and so that she can hear herself. She hasn't had a problem being quiet during standardized tests, etc.

Now, when I walk through the store talking to myself...that I should maybe tone down a bit.... :lol:

Yes, this is the best thing to do when writing. I can totally tell (like TOTALLY tell) whether or not my kids have read aloud to themselves what they turn into me. They think I am some kind of rocket scientist to be able to figure this out, but seriously...night and day difference in the quality of the work and the number of errors I find.

Amen and amen to the reading your writing aloud! I encourage both my boys to read me their narrations, and one voluntarily reads me his creative fiction. I can't count how many times both of them have had, Oh-let-me-fix-this moments.

Some people are auditory learners/processors and verbalizing helps them retain and process info. Nothing wrong with it at any age as long as it's not disruptive.

Not everyone learns the same way. Public school tends to be a 'one size fits all' approach and we all know how well THAT works!

Who cares what they do in school? They probably just ask kids to be quiet because it does the teacher's head in if 20-30 kids are all talking to themselves at once! One of the many positives of home education is that you can let him do things like that.