Menu

Travel in Wyoming---Big Horn, Thermopolis, Cody, etc

Ottakee

My husband has a job interview in Gillette WY on a Monday and then we are scheduled to be in Cody, WY on Tuesday for sure (have reservations already for Monday night).

My question is:

Do we just leave Gillette at 4-5pm and drive straight to Cody Monday night--meaning not any time for stops along the way?

Leave Gillette and go to Worland or Thermopolis and stay in that area overnight and do the hot springs pools, and a few more stops?  Taking 90 to 16 through the Big horns and then 20 to Thermopolis.

Leave Gillette and just take the shortest way to Cody (I think up to Sheridan on 90 and then 14 to Cody) but stop somewhere along the way and give more time the next day for any other stops?

I just don't know what we would enjoy more, what the drives are like, etc?  Any hints or tips?  Are the mountains quite slow going or not?  Any great "don't miss" places along the way?

I would take 90 to 16 to 14 to Cody, but stop along the way. There is no problem with the mountains. Are you going to Yellowstone? I lived in Cody until a recent move to Missouri, still own property in Cody, and sometimes think of going back. The state is beautiful, but it's a hard place to live!

Bring warm clothes for everyone, in case there is snow. I remember driving across Southern Wyoming, in late September, and it was snowing, all the way from the Utah border to Laramie. Enjoy your trip and GL with the job interview!

I would suggest going straight from Gillette to Cody. It isn't a bad drive at all.  We just got back from a week in WY (Cody) and Yellowstone and did that route on the way out.  We did the other route you mentioned on the way home and really didn't like it at all.  If you can, take some time to drive from Cody to Red Lodge, MT through the Beartooth Pass.  It was stunning.  There is a ton of snow still, but the views are absolutely incredible.  We were also impressed with the museum in Cody.  Of course, Yellowstone was amazing.  Tons and tons of wildlife are in the lower areas due to the amount of snow that is lingering in the upper elevations.  We saw 3 grizzly bears in one day!  Have a fabulous trip!