Menu

Dr. Hive...what could be causing this skin thing?

Samiam

We've been going to the pool for about a month now.  DS8 has a tan already.    But there's a patch on his lower abdomen that isn't tanning, it's weird.    Imagine where his swimsuit hits his hips/waist...there's an obvious tan line there...but starting in that area, the "no-tan" patch rises up about 3 inches into his abdomen, on the side, and it's a blotchy area (meaning not a uniform patch, line, shape).   It's like a big blotch,probably the size of a small adult hand.  It goes quite above where his swimsuit tan line goes.   I don't think it's a matter of his little belly blocking that spot...otherwise that would be more uniform.    He's never had this before.    We don't use sunblock (unless we go to lake/ocean), as we tend to be easy tanners, and I prefer a more natural path (we choose to appreciate the natural Vit D and avoid the toxic sunscreen chemicals), and we build up our pool time as the days get warmer to avoid initial sun burns.   So it's not a matter of missing a spot with sunscreen.  

I'm sure this is hard to imagine.  When I see it, it makes me think of what someone (say Michael Jackson) who loses pigmentation in patches of their skin.  

I hate to take him to the Ped for something like this, as I'd probably go the essential oil route anyway...unless it's truly something that I should get seriously worried about.  Any thoughts or experience? 

My 9 year old has a patch like that about the size of a silver dollar on one of her forearms.  It has done the same thing (failed to tan) every year for the last three but doesn't seem to cause any problems so I haven't done anything about it.

We are also easy tanners who don't use sunblock except on beach trips.

Thanks all, I looked up all the suggestions, and I say it's more like the pityriaisis alba thing. So nothing too major, though I think I'll apply some oils just so it doesn't progress. Thxs for helping pinpoint though!