Menu

Modern Times novels for grade 9?

We use TOG, so we have a lot of literature already, but I'm looking for more ideas for novels set during the modern era.  I just found Secrets of the Terra-Cotta Soldier.  It's set in communist China and it looks great: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1419705407/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB 

I'm looking for more of the same kind of thing.  

Any suggestions?

I don't know this one - it's very new.  I think of Red Scarf Girl as the best book for young readers about modern China (though it's a memoir, not a novel).

What other suggestions are you looking for?  Post-WWII books and settings?  More YA type books?  More MG type books?  More adult level reading?

I'm looking for WWI and onwards.  The kids I've got in my group are into things like the Divergent trilogy, Hunger Games, etc.  They're not as interested in a lot of the historical fiction that my dd read when she last studied this time period.  I have mostly boys in my group.  

I'm looking for novels set during different time periods, not necessarily a historical fiction genre, if that makes any sense.  I'd love for them to read some books set in the US during the civil rights movement, in the USSR, in Korea, in Afghanistan, etc.