Menu

National Science Bowl studying?

Does anyone have suggestions for how to study for the National Science Bowl at the middle school level? (besides just studying the sample questions on their website).  My public school student really wanted to do this last year.  He studied over the summer, and then did not make the team.  I saw the tryout test...it was really limited in scope...lame. 

Nonetheless he would like to study again this summer and try to make the team next year.  There do not seem to be any books out there on the subject.  Studying individual questions gets pretty old so we did try to delve in more deeply in areas that came up in questions where he had no background knowledge.  Studying textbooks isn't particularly efficient. I'm not sure how else to approach this for variety.

Thanks! Brownie

I coach our Science Bowl team - we came 2nd at State so didn't make it to Nationals. At practice I used the questions available online but I encouraged the students to prepare by playing Quiz Up. It is a free app for both Apple and Android products. There are lots of categories on science topics and I used to challenge the kids on the team to see if they could beat me. They also played each other - and you can also play against anyone online at the time.

Obviously this isn't aimed at Science Bowl, but it is a more fun way to study!

Can anyone give links/information on science bowl? Is this something that kids can do as individuals, or that a parent could run for a small group to participate? My DD would LOVE that-she does math competitions mostly for the social side, but she's really a science kid.

Can anyone give links/information on science bowl? Is this something that kids can do as individuals, or that a parent could run for a small group to participate? My DD would LOVE that-she does math competitions mostly for the social side, but she's really a science kid.

It is a team competition. They have  just added new rules that you have to be part of a school or a recognized homeschool group to participate. In the past Science Clubs or Boy Scout groups could do it but that is no longer possible.

If you google "middle school science bowl" and then follow links for your state you should get more info. There is also a high school version of it.

There are science contests that are project based that she might like (I am not talking science fairs here). If that would interest you I could do a blog post on what is available. My kids thrive on contests so we have either done, or know about. practically everything there is!

It is a team competition. They have just added new rules that you have to be part of a school or a recognized homeschool group to participate. In the past Science Clubs or Boy Scout groups could do it but that is no longer possible.

If you google "middle school science bowl" and then follow links for your state you should get more info. There is also a high school version of it.

There are science contests that are project based that she might like (I am not talking science fairs here). If that would interest you I could do a blog post on what is available. My kids thrive on contests so we have either done, or know about. practically everything there is!

Thanks so much. Any info that you can post will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

My ds is on the middle school "A" science bowl team. They are expecting to go to Nationals next year. What their teacher has told them to do is specialize. They shouldn't try to learn a little about everything, but should instead delve deeply in a particular topic of interest. So my son's specialty on the team is chemistry, but the teacher assigned him cells this year when she discovered biology and ecology were team weaknesses. (Each of the other team mates were also assigned a portion of bio/ecology to learn well.) It seemed there were lots of bio and ecology questions this year.

It sounds like each team is run differently; I don't think my son's team had to take a test to be on the team. For the first part of the school year, anyone who wanted to be in the science bowl club could be, but around Christmas, the teacher decided who would be on the teams based on interest, ability, and reliability.

I don't know if this post is of any value to you, but it is interesting to hear about the differences between teams. Good luck to your son!

I do think it makes sense to specialize.  I do not know what this team does, but the A team did go to nationals.  They had to take a 20 question multiple choice test to qualify because too many kids want to do it.  So in that sense you cannot specialize until you are on the team!!!  Which is totally silly because my son studied hundreds of actual science bowl questions and then I think they just made up questions for this quiz :(  They did not seem representative of the kinds of questions in the actual bowl.

Anyhow, after some digging, I did find this link with tons of references for studying:

http://science.energy.gov/~/media/wdts/nsb/pdf/hs/pdf/strategies.pdf

The books and websites they recommend are listed at the bottom...so at least it gives some options. Sadly a lot of it seems to be vocab versus understanding of science.  But I always tell ds not to just memorize...you need to delve in and understand the topic if you hope to retain it long term.

Brownie