Menu

I need a Kick in the Pants!

mom2bee

I've been on a decluttering kick and I'm entering the home stretch. My goal is to have my room completely reduced, reinvented and reinvigorated by June 1.

As of two days ago, I've slowed tremendously and have now stalled out. In part due to allergy-med-induced drowsiness and in part due to laziness. Someone give me a kick in the pants and tell me to finish!

Consider your couple of days to have been a nice break, but now realize how close you are to finishing. I don't know what room you're doing, but if it's a place where you can relax, plan to do just that on the first day it's totally finished. Don't let anything come into that room for a specified period of time and just enjoy the fruits of your labor. Don't stop now.

:grouphug:  Ugh!  I hate meds induced lethargy when I need to finish a project.  I agree with HoppyTheToad, set a timer.  Pick a small amount.  Jean does this, too.  Set your timer for say, 15 minutes.  Work full tilt on one thing for 15 minutes, just hyperfocusing on that one thing.  Then sit down.  Take a break.  Set your timer.  When the timer goes off do another 15 minutes of hyperfocused work on something.  Keep up the cycle but don't get bogged down in the future.  Just focus on the next 15 minutes.

And give us an update! :)

Thanks everyone! I really enjoyed the feedback and support. (Where is the Tuesday tackle thread anyway?!)

I guess I've gotten to the part where its less cut and dry on whether or not this stuff is just junk/clutter. At this point,  I don't have much blatant junk left :yay: but I don't have much storage either, even for legitimate belongings. I don't like closed off bins/drawers/boxes where I can't tell what is in them because I forget where things are far too easily. With boxes and such its just way too easy for me to stash junk and accumulate clutter rather than deal with it so I need a better solution...

On the Mess-Management and DeCluttering Front:

Now that I've been able to find my sewing kit, I have already mended a few items that I had just been wearing even though they needed repairs :).

I know already that I'm going to be throwing out a lot of old socks, shoes, undershirts etc that are threadbare and extremely worn. I wore out a pair of Darn Tough Socks so I'll be invoking the warranty on them and having them replaced.

I'm going to use the dye I have to take care stained or dingy whites/lights and just wear them through the summer.

I'm going to mend and donate all the pants that are just too small for me, but otherwise in good condition, I'm done hanging on to them so when I lose this extra weight, I'll reward myself with some seriously comfy pants that are brand new (to me)!.

I have and love two of those super hangers--I'm going to order a few more so that all of my clothes can be kept on one!

I've been through the laundry a few times in the last couple of weeks but its been difficult to get it under firm control when the rest of the room was such a mess. When I finish with the clutter-based-mess, I'm just going to re-wash up everything and immediately deal with each load as they come out the dryer.

My beloved electronic-junk collection has got to go. I'm keeping all of my video games and the old computers (which I hope to refurbish THIS year) and maybe a few select items but everything else is going to be donated to Goodwill. :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: The majority of my clutter was paper based--loose leafed, mostly. Some of it was scrap paper from like 10-12 years ago. It was crazy! I've burned thousands of sheets of paper off and I have so much more desk/drawer/floor/wall/basket space! Like...seriously! I did accidentally burn off some things I might have wanted to keep, but I am not too torn up about it. I honestly had forgotten about those things and I only realized I'd burned them when I was stoking the flames, I couldn't even tell you what they were so thats a good sign, right? The only thing I did retrieve from the fire was my Discrete math notes.

Even though loose-leaf paper was incinerated the spiral bound notebooks--no matter how old--have been spared the initial trash or burn stage because some of them contains stories from when I was 9, 10 and 11 years old! I'm going to have to figure something else out where they are concerned. I'll probably digitize the pages I guess.

The only loose-leaf pages that I've deliberately saved are my notes from math classes taken in college. Putting together a master math book is my pet project and I'd like to include my original notes and such in the book. Its silly and sentimental, but it means a lot to me to do it.

I've pared down my writing supplies tremendously. I had dozens of mechanical pencils that didn't even work, so I trashed them. I salved the erasers from everything but junked the rest, I kept only the pencils I intend to refill. I got rid of a bunch of busted/dried out/unused pens and am committed to not bringing anymore random pencils or pens home and not buying any either until I've run out!

My goal is to get a place for everything and then try and keep everything in its place.

On the Maintaining-the-Messless Room Front:

I'm going to rearrange the furniture in my room and I'm thinking of getting a bed, but the one I have in mind is kind of low to the ground so in order to store anything beneath it, I'd have to use bricks to raise it up enough to have storage under the bed. I want to be able to keep 95% of my belongings in my room, so its important to me that my stuff be functional and easy to maintain. Right now, its probably closer to like 55-60% of my belongings are in my room.

Nothing will be allowed on the bookshelf that isn't a book.

I'm getting more of those super hangers.

I'm going to look into getting a stool for my desk, rather than a chair, so that it can fit beneath the desk and I won't dawdle around for no reason.

I want to have enough room to play Wii games in my room so I'm keeping that in mind as I plan out the new floor-plan.

I want to get or make some simple wall-shelving.

Thank you all for the support, my 15min break is over so I've gotta go and get back to the cleaning.

<<On the Maintaining-the-Messless Room Front:

I'm going to rearrange the furniture in my room and I'm thinking of getting a bed, but the one I have in mind is kind of low to the ground so in order to store anything beneath it, I'd have to use bricks to raise it up enough to have storage under the bed.>>

You can get extenders to make your bed taller. I've seen them in a catalogue. I don't remember what company though.

<<Nothing will be allowed on the bookshelf that isn't a book.>>

Haha...I so relate!!

<<Thank you all for the support, my 15min break is over so I've gotta go and get back to the cleaning.>>

You've motivated me with all your plans. I'm going to tackle a messy spot in my room. Thanks!

I'm convinced there's only so much "decluttering energy" in the world. We have out of town guests arriving and I'm sorry I took more than my share for the last couple of days. I'm just about done and am sending it your way!

I'm convinced there's only so much "decluttering energy" in the world. We have out of town guests arriving and I'm sorry I took more than my share for the last couple of days. I'm just about done and am sending it your way!

In that case, anybody getting anything done today owes me big. :)

Ugh! I just...couldn't do it! I got only the bare basics done today!!! *grr*

On the one hand, every item that doesn't belong is off of the desk, shelves, and dresser. About 30% of that stuff is sorted, on the other hand, that stuff is now in the floor! I guess there is always tomorrow...