Menu

Sonrisas or Song School Spanish

malyita

I have been searching for literally years for what to do with Spanish, and I think I have narrowed it down to these two programs. I am planning for next year when I will have one in K and one in grade 2. Older DD is just beginning to read and write with purpose rather than simply to learn the skills, and younger dd is just starting so the program can't be reading and writing focused (my priority is conversation anyway). I am looking for something engaging, incorporating songs and games I don't have to invent or collect. I also want to actually learn a decent amount of Spanish. I have been fluent in the past myself, so am fine with brushing up and helping them/providing the somewhat immersion environment Sonrisas calls for. Does anyone have a way to help me decide between the two? Right now the "vibe" I get from Sonrisas is nicer, but it seems Song School may cover a bit more and is much less expensive. I don't mind paying for quality, though. Help?

DD and I both really like Song School Spanish. It's open-and-go, and DD likes most of the songs and activities. It's easy to teach, but it is not an immersion program. Most of what it teaches is vocabulary. Verbs are pretty much limited to classroom commands. Dialogue completed strictly in Spanish is very limited and is primarily scripted. Honestly, good Spanish programs are so hard to come by for early elementary that I would just pick the most manageable (and fun) and then proceed from there. If you move too quickly, you'll end up with material that is unappealing and writing intense. We started Song School when DD was six. (She already had two books of Teach Them Spanish! under her belt, so I can't provide my thoughts on Song School being a first Spanish program.) You will probably have to adapt some of it for you K student, unless she's good with handwriting. The Teacher's Guide has extra worksheets for each chapter in the back to copy, so you may want to get it, even if you don't "need" it. I've not really looked at Sonrisas, but Song School is very nicely designed and well organized. DD and I both enjoy the high-quality graphics and fonts. The flash cards are very nice as well. A couple of the songs and chants are a little iffy/cheesy, but most are quite enjoyable.