Menu

FAFSA Question with IRS Retrival Tool

Tohru

If you use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool with your student's FAFSA application for your tax return to be matched, can the colleges see the parent's and other sibling's social security numbers? 

I can't seem to find the answer anywhere or what information the colleges are getting exactly - is it just to confirm the amounts on the line numbers?

Who else can see the IRS return and all the private information (mostly concerned about the sibling's info)? 

At the selected school, if you're bringing in a copy of the tax return, then you can black out everyone's social and just give them the first two pages, but now I'm worried about all the rest of the information any one can have access to since we used the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.

I'm just curious.  Why are you trying to keep the numbers so secret?  While I know you're supposed to not disclose your SSNs, it seems impossible to actually live that out in today's world.  Have you really been able to keep them so closely guarded?

In my job, the first question many callers are asked is their SSN.  (Government, so their only other option is to not be a part of the program.)  Through their SSN, we have access to a number of databases, from child support registries to drivers' licenses to Social Security Administration, and the state employment commission (which gives us access to their employer and salary info).  Even if you keep your SSN out of doctors' offices and schools, the number and your name is still out there, really everywhere.

On somewhat the flip side of that, I've advised clients several times when their SSN is being used by someone else.  It's usually someone who appears to be an illegal alien, but I think it's been a family member at least once too.

First post :)

As a financial aid counselor, I can tell you that we absolutely do not see socials from the IRS DRT. the only things that come over are the items needed for the FAFSA-number of exemptions, AGI, etc. Keep in mind though that if you are required to put your information on there as a parent, your SSN is already on the FAFSA. Since we see FAFSAs all day every day, I can promise it's just another number among the other hundred or so we have to review. ;). We just have to make sure everything is correct on there so we can award the aid...

• 2 weeks later...

First post :)

As a financial aid counselor, I can tell you that we absolutely do not see socials from the IRS DRT. the only things that come over are the items needed for the FAFSA-number of exemptions, AGI, etc. Keep in mind though that if you are required to put your information on there as a parent, your SSN is already on the FAFSA. Since we see FAFSAs all day every day, I can promise it's just another number among the other hundred or so we have to review. ;). We just have to make sure everything is correct on there so we can award the aid...

Welcome! What a helpful first post.