Menu

Going to Chicago!

EndOfOrdinary

This summer we will be road tripping the U.S. and have a stop planned for Chicago.  I am forcing everyone to go to the art museum and Ds has said we need to go to the chess pavilion, but other than that, what all should we go see?

Currently we are thinking three days, with one taken up by walking the art museum.  So two others?

Secondly, does anyone know of any good hostels to stay at either in town or on the outskirts?

We're going this summer too. We are looking at the river architecture tours that are very well reviewed and we are doing the full day Frank Lloyd Wright bus tour that takes you to the Robie House and Oak Park. You can see where our interests lie :lol:

Thanks for the tip on Chess Pavilion. That looks like a great spot. My son would love that. 

We live in Chicago and love being tourists at home!

When I grew up in CA, we visited Chicago when I was 16. I totally remember going to the Field Museum and the Art Institute (which are really close to each other). My kids still stand in awe of the Grande Jatte every single time they see it.

The "Bean" at Millenium Park is really really cool. I thought it sounded weird when I first heard about it, but I love it now.

We go to the Museum of Science and Industry every few weeks. We think it is great.

I've been to the Robie House but find it sort of meh. If you are going through Springfield, go to the Frank Lloyd Wright "Dana Thomas" house there instead. It beats it hands down!

Emily

We visited Chicago last year.  The Field Museum was our favorite -- we spend the whole day there.  We had to choose between Shedd Aquarium and the Museum of Science and Industry for time reasons, and we chose the science museum.  My kids were not as impressed as I had expected (not sure why), and I wished we had chosen the aquarium.  We went to the top of the Hancock building, and walked around Navy Pier and ate churros (yum!). We wouldn't go on the amusement rides there, because they were just too expensive for a family of six, but we did go on a pirate ship cruise on the Tall Ship Windy. Super fun! DH searched online and pre-purchased passes for the things we wanted to do, and that saved a lot of money.

Shedd Aquarium houses five dolphins (two wild-caught off the coast of California), seven belugas (two wild-caught in Canada), and numerous sea lions in concrete tanks.

To my shame, I have seen these intelligent, sensitive creatures being made to perform tricks in Shedd's aquatic show. Never again.

OP, I do hope you enjoy your visit to Chicago.

Another vote for the Field Museum - it's fabulous.  Try to catch a docent-led tour, particularly Museum Highlights.

Also, the fountains at Millennium Park (across the street from the Art Institute) are really fun.  I'd do it at the end of your day (or just before whenever you plan to return to home base) so you can change into dry clothes.  This park is also the location of the Bean, which a PP mentioned.  All that stuff is free, you just walk around as you please.

I'm in Chicago right now and come here pretty regularly to visit my dd.  I am going to recommend looking into a CityPASS.  If you are planning to go to enough of these attractions, it really does save money.  Even better, you will get to stand in a priority line rather than the general admission line.  Summer brings many tourists, and the shorter lines with the CityPASS definitely make the experience better!  

We have really enjoyed Chicago Shakespeare Theater.  Here is a schedule of free performances in the parks this summer--A Midsummer Night's Dream.

For the Aquarium, you really need the full ticket to make it worthwhile. They have a simple entry ticket that really just lets you view the main level. All the neat attractions require the higher level tickets.

We lived in the coasts before moving to the midwest, so going to the aquarium hasn't been high on my list, but the one time we went, we actually saw a baby beluga whale nursing! Now my kids understand why whales are mammals. It was so cool!

If you are a member of another museum that is part of the ASTC group, you can get into several Chicago museums for free. Check your museum membership card, if you are a member, for the ASTC logo.  With our museum membership that is connected to ASTC, we visit, for free, the Field Museum, the Museum of Science & Industry and the Chicago Children's Museum at Navy Pier.  You still have to pay for parking and special exhibits, but it saves a lot of money. I think the Art Institute may be part of a reciprocal art museum thing as well.  The Shedd Aquarium always has long lines and the tickets are rather expensive. For those reasons, we have yet to visit. We like the Art Institute and the Field.  The Museum of Science & Industry has an interesting history of Disney exhibit up.  If you like archaeology, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Egyptian history, then you might like the Oriental Museum on the University of Chicago campus near the Science & Industry museum.  The Oriental Museum is in the Hyde Park area which is the neighborhood where the Obamas lived before moving to the White House.

Parking in Chicago is very expensive.  The easiest way to pay for street parking is to use your credit card.  Otherwise, you will need to be carrying around lots of cash. Parking garages can be expensive, too.  Park in the Grant Park garage accessible via Michigan Avenue to go to the Art Institute.  The Field and the Science a& Industry have their own parking lots.  Once you are parked in the Grant Park garage, then you can go to the Bean. We also like walking up and down Michigan Avenue.  My son is obsessed with Nike shoes so we are now always visiting the NikeTown store on Michigan Avenue, very near the Apple store.  There is an American Girl store and Lego store in the Water Tower mall.  You can walk over bridge over the Chicago River that has been featured in a lot of films. Take a Wendella Boat ride that gives you an interesting perspective on the city and helps you understand the architecture, too, which Chicagoans are proud of.

There is a hostel in the south Loop. It is near the main library building.  From the outside, it looks quite nice.  You are still going to have to park your car nearby.  We often stay in the western suburbs in Oak Brook/Lombard area.  It is about a 20 minute drive on expressways through the suburbs and city to downtown.  That is, if the traffic is going fast.  We like staying in this area because the hotels are fine, many serve breakfast, have pools and the parking is free.  But then, we don't go out a lot in the evening.  So we are usually exhausted and back in the hotel by 7 or so.  Staying in the city mainly allows you to hang out at night.  Frequently there are free concerts in Grant Park in the summer and fireworks off Navy Pier, so those are incentive to stay downtown.  

Chicago is a big city with big city prices.  Plan ahead and you can save some money and time.  You will like it.