Menu

Thank you so very much for serving our country.

Alicia64

Hi Everyone,

We just returned from the most touching Memorial Day presentation. They kindly passed out water because of the heat, but we really needed tissues.

One elderly man told me how he served in Korea and how his trainer had been shot in the (ahem) tucas -- and had to walk 26 miles to get medical help. (The trainer told his guys that therefore they were not allowed to complain.)

One man had a German shepherd dog with him who was a search and rescue dog -- and a therapy dog. The man's nephew was Roxie's first dad who died in Iraq -- so this man flew to Hawaii to bring Roxie home. Roxie got to place a wreath down at the wreath ceremony.

You see? Tissues needed like crazy.

If you've served or someone you loved has served -- thank you so very much.

Alley  :patriot:

Amen. Special thanks to those who are serving, or, who have served in the past, in the U.S., Israeli or Colombian armed forces. We know a man here who is a Sergeant Major in the Colombian Army. He has been badly wounded, more than once. For all those who died or who were injured while serving, and for those who have served and their families, this is a very special day in the USA. They are our heroes...

Yes, ditto to the above!  THANKS to all branches of the U.S, armed forces.  They willingly sacrifice their lives for us and our freedom.  Thanks to my Dad who is a WW II vet - army.   In fact, he was one of the men flown to DC for a special ceremony.  This was about 2 years ago maybe.  It looked like it was an awesome event. 

Great stories.

However, today is Memorial Day - not Veteran's Day.

It's a day to remember people who died in military service. Let's keep it solemn, not a celebration of those who served.

I think many in service would agree.

Great stories.

It's a day to remember people who died in military service. Let's keep it solemn, not a celebration of those who served.

As a wife of a disabled Vet I take issue with your statement, and I don't agree. It is a day for remembrance of lives lost. It is also a day to thank those who lives will never be the same because of their service. Are you really saying it's only appropriate to thank people for their service on Veteran's day?

As a wife of a disabled Vet I take issue with your statement, and I don't agree. It is a day for remembrance of lives lost. It is also a day to thank those who lives will never be the same because of their service. Are you really saying it's only appropriate to thank people for their service on Veteran's day?

Memorial Day is the one day a year set aside to remember the men and women lost in military service. The US Department of Veteran's Affairs agrees with me  http://www.va.gov/opa/vetsday/vetday_faq.asp

I don't think remembering lost family should be kept to one day.  I don't think thanking veterans should be kept to one day. I do think we should keep Memorial Day a solemn day of remembrance.

Great stories.

Thanks for making the distinction. My emotions well up and my brain turns off. The entire presentation was so poignant that it's hard to remember one holiday is for one and one holiday is in honor of the other. But I see your point.

The veterans at the presentation wanted to talk and took great pride in being there.

So it's hard to remember to make a distinction.

Alley