Menu

Science after BFSU vol 1 but before vol 2?

Jen Becker

I have a 7 yo DD who is moving into second grade.  We've spent about a year doing BFSU vol 1 and are coming up to the end of it.  We're a very science/techy family, so we cover a lot of science in daily life as well.

I don't want to move into BFSU vol 2 until 3rd, so I'm trying to decide what to do with this "gap year".  I currently own both Intellego Astronomy and RSO Life Science, so either of those is an option.  I'm also considering just doing random experiments/life observations and relating them back to BFSU's topics to solidify that foundation.

What are your recommendations?

We are doing a repeat of BFSU. We just go a little deeper each time. The first round we just read books and talked about each subject. Now we are reading books, watching videos and narrating. Pretty soon we will be going through again and doing experiments.

I will have a similar issue with my DD as she finishes first grade at the end of this year. I have not yet looked at BFSU but was considering starting it at a much slower pace while reviewing all the sections in BFSU1 as they come up and at the same time going into any more depth needed. I have found that certain sections in BFSU1 were easier and quicker to handle than others and suspect it will be the same in BFSU2.

BFSU volume 1 went great for us, but I could not figure out how to do volume 2 well.

With my younger child who will start 2nd grade in September, I will finish up BFSU volume 1 next year as well as do BJU science 3rd grade. If we like it, we'll probably continue with BJU Science. I am using BJU science 6 with my older kids and am exceedingly pleased.

I also use Studies Weekly science and health as supplements.

Zula Patrol on PBS is fantastic. I have often thought it was the best supplement to BFSU.