Jump to content

Menu

Classical Learning Resource Center


Recommended Posts

FYI: I am not employed by CLRC, I just think they are great. :)

 

I have brought this school up before and wanted to do so again because it is really worth looking in to. My 14yo is going into her 4th year of Greek and her second year of Latin. The classes are live and interactive and the teachers are willing to meet with the students outside of class. Greek uses Athenaze and the Latin is Oxford for the older students and Matin Latin for the younger ones (elementary and lower middle school). The creator of the Matin Latin series also just joined their staff and will be teaching out of her own book!

 

Dd has also taken some incredible literature classes. These teachers are the kind of teachers that you would hope your kids encounter in their lives. I highly recommend them without reservation. Also, summer classes begin in a week and are quite a bargain. High schoolers can earn a credit and the classes are only $100. (I believe they are accredited in California.) My dd will be taking the Silmarillion course.

 

There are also science, mythology, and critical thinking classes as well as others. Their website is www.clrchomeschool.com.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm thinking of enrolling DD in their Greek class this year or the next. What's the workload like per week? Is it a chapter a week? I enrolled DD in Lukeion's Latin given its reputation and my preference for Wheelock's, but I didn't want to add in Greek with them. From what I've read on the board, Lukeion requires hours of work per week, and DD is not quite ready for that. We have some other classes starting in the fall that will take up a lot of time, too. But I can't seem to let go of Greek and was hoping for a class that didn't require as much work. :) Also, what I like about CLRC (and please correct me if I'm wrong), CLRC's Greek class has kids doing their homework on paper and emailing it to the teacher, so there is no need to download the font and work in front of the computer, correct? I'm just trying to avoid too much computer time for DD.

 

By the way, CLRC needs just a couple of more students for their Byzantine Chant class. It's $100 for the summer and kids get to chant solo.

 

Thanks for your helpful review, Jennifer, especially given how long your DD has been studying with them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm thinking of enrolling DD in their Greek class this year or the next. What's the workload like per week? Is it a chapter a week? I enrolled DD in Lukeion's Latin given its reputation and my preference for Wheelock's, but I didn't want to add in Greek with them. From what I've read on the board, Lukeion requires hours of work per week, and DD is not quite ready for that. We have some other classes starting in the fall that will take up a lot of time, too. But I can't seem to let go of Greek and was hoping for a class that didn't require as much work. :) Also, what I like about CLRC (and please correct me if I'm wrong), CLRC's Greek class has kids doing their homework on paper and emailing it to the teacher, so there is no need to download the font and work in front of the computer, correct? I'm just trying to avoid too much computer time for DD.

 

By the way, CLRC needs just a couple of more students for their Byzantine Chant class. It's $100 for the summer and kids get to chant solo.

 

Thanks for your helpful review, Jennifer, especially given how long your DD has been studying with them.

Dd began Greek in 7th grade with no previous language experience. She says now that if she had taken a Latin course before beginning her Greek class that it would probably be 3-4 hours worth of work a week for the first year. At the beginning they took 3 weeks to finish a chapter (it is a college level book after all) and they finished the first book halfway through the second year. This particular class is the one that dd met with the teacher outside of class each week to clarify any confusion she may have had. The homework is posted on the forum and the students write out their work with paper and pencil then scan it and send it back to the teacher. The only computer time is during class (2 hours a week), getting the homework, and maybe some vocabulary drills that are in the form of games.

 

I am really glad I had her take the Greek class in particular. I think that class alone is responsible for the leaps and bounds she has made in just about every area of her life. Her eyes are open to the world around her in ways she could not have seen without it. I guess that is just a plug in general for taking Ancient Greek, but CLRC can get a kid there!

 

That Byzantine Chant class does look really good, and so does the Celtic one. I didn't realize they were offering it until I went into the music section of the site.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jennifer, that is so encouraging to read about your daughter. I know that learning Latin first helps a bit with Greek, so we have that covered.

 

Are the homework assignments on the forum referring back to the questions in the textbook? If not do the students have to do more homework in addition to what's in the textbook? I'm really not trying to avoid work, just trying to see if DD can handle it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jennifer, that is so encouraging to read about your daughter. I know that learning Latin first helps a bit with Greek, so we have that covered.

 

Are the homework assignments on the forum referring back to the questions in the textbook? If not do the students have to do more homework in addition to what's in the textbook? I'm really not trying to avoid work, just trying to see if DD can handle it.

Yes, the homework refers back to the textbook questions. There are also chant sheets that they fill out and chants are supposed to be done several times a week. Dd usually includes the chants as part of her bedtime routine.

 

Dd had not been a part of any outside classes (except for a two-month stint in public 3rd grade) before her Greek class and she survived. Having the teacher's strong support was really key for her. She did not make straight A's, in fact I think she made C's that first year, but like I said before, the value of taking Greek is immeasurable to me. I would rather her make C's and learn a lot than breeze through with A's and learn nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aack, Jennifer! We may be having a tough fall semester, but your enthusiasm for Greek and this class is making ME want to enroll MYSELF in this class. I'm going to ask Anne a few more questions specific to DD to see if this is the right year for her to take the class. DD is enrolled in their summer Shakespearan class, so I know how responsive they are with questions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been quite tempted to enroll myself as well, lol. I guess as far as your daughter goes, looking at your long-term goals for her will determine whether you should or shouldn't enroll her. For us, as far as our children are able, the ancient languages are a must.

 

That Shakespearean class looks good, too! Dd fell in love with Shakespeare this year after reading him in her literature class. You will find Miss Schroeder to be an amazing teacher on this front. I believe she is at King's College at Oxford getting her master's degree in Shakespeare studies (she might have just completed it).

 

I found a nice set of the complete works of Shakespeare at a thrift store last week and dd whisked them away as soon as she saw them. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 8 years later...

Bringing this back to the top!  Looking for a more secular (or at least not overbearingly Christian) informal logic class for my Orthodox Jewish DS.  We have used Schole in the past and it was good but the two boys who took it in the past it was too Christian for us.  Lots of Evangelical Christian kids and the teacher used lots of Christian examples and the overall feel was not comfortable.

I found the Classical Learning Resource Center and they have a logic class for 8-9th graders.  I emailed them my question but I want to hear more from other real life people.  I see they have lot of Orthodox Christian teachers.

Advice for other logic classes for 8th graders or knowledge about the CLRC?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My daughter enjoyed her class with CLRC, but in some ways it was despite her classmates’ aggressive Christian behavior. The classes (except for those in the religion dept) seem to be taught secularly, but the students contribute their own views which may be fairly evangelical. My daughter wasn’t particularly sure most of the students even were Orthodox Christians. 

I believe all the teachers are Orthodox, and if not all, then pretty close. I would be cautious about the science teacher who has a blog which is mostly concerned with his religious views, which certainly include a belief in the supremacy of Christianity (as demonstrated my aggressively arguing against other faiths).
 

In general, the English class seemed fairly well organized and higher quality than a lot I’ve seen. At this point I am extremely jaded about online classes. The assignments and discussions seemed intelligent. I had to withdraw her from a language class because it was simply not organized.

Edited by stripe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stripe said:

My daughter enjoyed her class with CLRC, but in some ways it was despite her classmates’ aggressive Christian behavior. The classes (except for those in the religion dept) seem to be taught secularly, but the students contribute their own views which may be fairly evangelical. My daughter wasn’t particularly sure most of the students even were Orthodox Christians. 

I believe all the teachers are Orthodox, and if not all, then pretty close. I would be cautious about the science teacher who has a blog which is mostly concerned with his religious views, which certainly include a belief in the supremacy of Christianity (as demonstrated my aggressively arguing against other faiths).
 

In general, the English class seemed fairly well organized and higher quality than a lot I’ve seen. At this point I am extremely jaded about online classes. The assignments and discussions seemed intelligent. I had to withdraw her from a language class because it was simply not organized.

I agree with this. Some years were worse than others. We had to skip the crusades classes and I guess there was some intensity around Dante. I will say like the poster above it was for the most part not due to the teacher but owing to some bizarre adolescent Christian fervor and zeal. The CLRC classes were some of the best he had and it was worth the “othering” that goes on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, madteaparty said:

I agree with this. Some years were worse than others. We had to skip the crusades classes and I guess there was some intensity around Dante. I will say like the poster above it was for the most part not due to the teacher but owing to some bizarre adolescent Christian fervor and zeal. The CLRC classes were some of the best he had and it was worth the “othering” that goes on. 

I agree with all of this and especially the bolded!

I think the quality of their English classes, at least the ones we took, were incredible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

My dd had a good experience with the Russian Conversation class. I think they lost a Russian teacher, though. There aren't as many offering next year.

She is still there but busy teaching Great Books sequence. They have grown so much lately that she keeps adding sections. 
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2022 at 8:54 AM, YaelAldrich said:

Bringing this back to the top!  Looking for a more secular (or at least not overbearingly Christian) informal logic class for my Orthodox Jewish DS.  We have used Schole in the past and it was good but the two boys who took it in the past it was too Christian for us.  Lots of Evangelical Christian kids and the teacher used lots of Christian examples and the overall feel was not comfortable.

I found the Classical Learning Resource Center and they have a logic class for 8-9th graders.  I emailed them my question but I want to hear more from other real life people.  I see they have lot of Orthodox Christian teachers.

Advice for other logic classes for 8th graders or knowledge about the CLRC?

Did you check out the textbook they use? They are using an Oxford text if I am looking at the right class. That could be a good indicator. Also just email the teacher. They tend to be super friendly n my experience. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...