Menu

Which program for teaching Latin

I am looking at teaching my 9yr old Latin. Just wondering what the best program is. Today I came across "Getting Started With Latin". I really like the look of that. I can see my daughter and I sitting on the lounge together, working through this book. I see on this forum that a lot recommend Prima Latina. Looking at the sample, it seems very workbookish! If it was more independent for her, then I am afraid that I wouldn't learn it with her (I would really like to learn this as well). Perhaps there is more to it that I don't know. Just to give a little background info, I have two favourite curriculums that we use, and work well for us: All About Spelling; and Singapore Maths. Any suggestions?

We loved GSWL! I used it with my oldest in 3rd grade, and we did just what you said - sat on the couch and worked through it orally together. Great start especially for me, who had never had Latin before. With one word or concept learned each lesson (and everything prior reviewed in the lesson), it was easy for me to keep up. :)

After GSWL, we moved to Lively Latin in 4th grade, and my son loves that also. He tends to work on it more independently though. I tried working it with him at first, but he really preferred doing it on his own. Go figure. We plan to continue that in 5th and then move into Lively Latin Big Book 2. He's about 3/4 done with Big Book 1.

We use Rosetta Stone and are starting Prima Latina as well. RS is great for them to learn the conversational aspects of foreign language, which is impossible if the parents aren't native speakers. We are starting PL because we want them to understand conjugation and grammar. We recommend both for different reasons.

We use Prima Latina and the rest of Memoria Press's Latin curriculum and love it. We use the DVDs and I sit and watch it with the kids. They do recitations every day with me and do work with the workbook. I have not researched any other programs, but this program is very systematic and very well done. We love it!

As for lively latin, who all sells that? I tried to find a sample to look at in person at our convention.

You can get samples from the site:

http://livelylatin.com

I got the PDF and printed it black and white (cheap laser printer, free paper from Staples free-after-rebate deals).

Rainbow Resource carries the CDs (still print yourself) and I think the printed books also. If you're printing for more than one child, I'd recommend spending your money on a laser printer instead of printed books. I think the printer + PDF file (or CD) would be cheaper than multiple sets of printed books.

Our library had GSWL. You may want to check. Depending on the student it can move very quickly, so you might want too have a back up if you find your kid able to zip through it. The other part of the equation is that a GSWL is only about ten minutes a day. If it takes longer, then the student is not really understanding. Keeping that in mind, you might want to add in another program if you wanted more formal instruction.

It is a very nice, slow introduction. I am using it now with my nine year old for conversational practice as we are doing the entire book orally.

I was reading another thread and a poster stated that she used Greek and Latin Root Words from grade 1. Any ideas if there is something else that I could use with flash cards that would suit my younger two?

English From the Roots Up by Lunquist covers Greek and Latin roots.

We're almost done with book 1 (of 2.)  You can buy the flash cards - or, if you photocopy the page you can cut out the root word and write the definition on the back.  (The root word is written on the top of each page in an index card format.)

I also use Root Words from Critical Thinking Co. - they sell the flash cards, as well.

The other part of the equation is that a GSWL is only about ten minutes a day.

You can certainly stretch it out longer if you want. My dd kept a Latin notebook. She wrote down her vocabulary, copied in any grammar or pronunciation tips Mr. Linney mentioned, copied down the conjugations for all the verbs we learned, had a page for the Latin expressions, etc.

Every day we started by reviewing one verb and one noun. We picked them for each other, and we each had to decline the noun/conjugate the verb (in writing, complete with macrons). We call this our Latin competition, we and we start a new game each time someone reaches 100 points (we still do this even though we have moved on to Latin Book One). Then we worked on the lesson, writing any relevant information into the notebook. Then we did the translations. She did half from Latin to English and half from English to Latin; the Latin ones were written down. Then we did composition; each of us would create three sentences in Latin or English that the other had to translate. We would check them together and discuss why we may have come up with different ways of translating/expressing a thought . Occasionally we would play a game; I created a few small Latin vocab games, and we also used Chariots at the Circus from Ellen McHenry. We easily had a 30-minute lesson each day.

Our Latin sequence starts in 4th grade and is:

4th- GSWL

5th- Latin Prep 1

6th- Lingua Latina (first third-half of Familia Romana with all the accompanying books)

Ds9 starts GSWL in the fall. 

Ds12 is finishing up his first year in a charter school for the gifted having had GWSL, LP1, and two chapters of LL before transferring to the school.  He placed into Latin II (high school credit) and is exempt from the final as he has a 94% in the class.  I attribute much of this to our Latin sequence while homeschooling.

:)