Menu

Getting ready for 2nd grade public school

My son will be going to public school for 3 months this fall. I will be heavily pregnant and with new baby and we will be at my parents. I need a break and he needs to know what school is like he has never been.

He is 1-2 years a head in math and reading but is behind in writing and spelling. Currently he has only done wwe 1, all about spelling 1 and copy work. What would you focus on over the summer to help get him ready?

If he's ahead in math and reading, then he'll be absolutely fine.  My son is currently in first grade in ps, but I'm pulling him at the end of the school year (3 weeks!). There is a wide range of abilities in his classes.  Some kids struggle to put 1 sentence on paper, but others will write pages about any topic (what they will do this weekend, or what they like to do with friends, etc.).  There is a lot of worksheet writing, but I don't know how to prepare for that.

If anything, I'd prepare him for what is expected in his behavior at school. He'll be expected to remain in his seat and not call out, raise his hand, walk in a line. I think that is the hardest thing for little boys to do and they start "training" them in K for this.  By 2nd grade, they are expected to know the "rules." 

If you read some books this summer, and then talk about them together, that will help, too. 

My 7 year old spent 5 months in 2nd grade in public school this year.  The biggest thing was his handwriting.  Make sure he has legible handwriting.  They didn't do much writing in school, actually.  It seemed like most of it was in math!  Being ahead in math and reading will make it fine for him because in 2nd grade they are still very focused on those two subjects.

Thanks Everyone so much!!!!!!  You have relieved so much stress!  My son is the type that has trouble putting words on paper although can do math problems fine. Its a relief to know that he will not be alone.   Great idea to work on behavior.  Since he has never been in school this could really be an issue.  He is used to doing his own thing.