Menu

Any guesses as to my mutt's lineage?

Barb_

Her face looks a bit dachshund-like to me. She seems on the large size, but my first guess would be dachshund-chihuahua, I did a quick Google search and found a bunch of pictures of pups with that mix that look quite similar to yours. 

Whatever her heritage, she's adorable!

Edited to add: Here's one example - http://www.dogfoodscoop.com/bella-chiweenie-chihuahua-dachshund-mix.html

Some dogs are so many generations away from any purebred that it's really difficult to guess.

I "see" Lab in her ears, but that type of ear set is common in many breeds.  And it's probably one of the ear sets that dogs would revert to if humans stopped purposefully breeding dogs to fit our own criteria.

Sometimes you can make as good/better guess based on personality and behavior than on looks.  Is she very interested in birds?  Does she sniff the ground a lot?  Is she very interested in pleasing her people or a little more independent?

The DNA tests/cheek swabs are considered to be wildly unreliable.  I wouldn't waste my money.  She looks like a sweet, precious dog and there's nothing at all wrong with saying she's a 100% All Around Good Mutt.  Or invent your own breed like the puppymills do. ;)

Some dogs are so many generations away from any purebred that it's really difficult to guess.

I "see" Lab in her ears, but that type of ear set is common in many breeds.  And it's probably one of the ear sets that dogs would revert to if humans stopped purposefully breeding dogs to fit our own criteria.

Sometimes you can make as good/better guess based on personality and behavior than on looks.  Is she very interested in birds?  Does she sniff the ground a lot?  Is she very interested in pleasing her people or a little more independent?

The DNA tests/cheek swabs are considered to be wildly unreliable.  I wouldn't waste my money.  She looks like a sweet, precious dog and there's nothing at all wrong with saying she's a 100% All Around Good Mutt.  Or invent your own breed like the puppy mills do. ;)

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

We have a mutt that looks a lot like that and is the same size, different color. The shelter said dachshund/lab mix. Ours also acts clownish and uses his paws like a cat, so we think some boxer might in there as well. The vet said he sees Brittany in his markings. He stinks like a hound. All that to say, ours is a true mutt, but it is fun to guess!

Have you googled doxador?

I "see" Lab in her ears, but that type of ear set is common in many breeds. And it's probably one of the ear sets that dogs would revert to if humans stopped purposefully breeding dogs to fit our own criteria.

Sometimes you can make as good/better guess based on personality and behavior than on looks. Is she very interested in birds? Does she sniff the ground a lot? Is she very interested in pleasing her people or a little more independent?

The DNA tests/cheek swabs are considered to be wildly unreliable. I wouldn't waste my money. She looks like a sweet, precious dog and there's nothing at all wrong with saying she's a 100% All Around Good Mutt. Or invent your own breed like the puppymills do. ;)

I tried to come back here earlier but my battery died just as I was going to post. So to answer the above, she has a high prey drive. It took weeks to train her that our cats are friends and not food. She loves to chase the laser pointer and shakes the stuffing our of her lovies. She is a little finicky with her food and piddles when overexcited like a small dog but is very chill and never barks, even in response to other barking dogs, so not much of a watchdog. She's active and will run circles in the backyard just for the heck of it but not high strung, especially for a puppy. She's very gentle and not easily startled...has never snapped or growled at the kids even around her food or toys. She's affectionate to the point of separation anxiety that we've recently trained her to manage. She is eager to please and catches on quickly when we want her to do a certain thing, but she is full of mischief and will for instance hide her snout under a cushion when she's chewing something she isn't supposed to have. She loves other dogs and is generally overjoyed to play with them regardless of their size. She will walk for 3 miles before tiring out and needs to walk or run every day or she chews everything in site, including wood furniture.

She also has this weird little curly tail that didn't show in the picture and a deep, throaty almost seal-like bark when she is distressed (as in her separation anxiety days). When we got her, she was listed as lab/corgi, but that was the guess at 2 months old. I think they thought she'd get bigger. I'm seeing chihuahua (every small mutt in az is at least part chihuahua), dachshund, and maybe some chocolate lab/jack Russell?

Usually we just say she Heinz 57 :) but of course I'm curious. Plus it would be nice to know what to watch out for health wise, as Plum Crazy mentioned. Disc issues with with a Doxie, hips with lab, that sort of thing. She's our first dog after being a cat lady for 25 years, so I'm acting like a crazy new mom, lol

Here's one more picture of her lengthwise.

image_zps11ea77d7.jpg

Did your vet not have a guess? My vet told me my first dog looks like a cross between a beagle and a jack russell. So that's what we tell people who ask. Well, we say we guess but don't know for sure.

He said chihuahua and a number of others he wouldn't even guess at. That's why I came to the hive :D

We have a mutt that looks a lot like that and is the same size, different color. The shelter said dachshund/lab mix. Ours also acts clownish and uses his paws like a cat, so we think some boxer might in there as well. The vet said he sees Brittany in his markings. He stinks like a hound. All that to say, ours is a true mutt, but it is fun to guess!

Have you googled doxador?

I'd love to see a picture of yours. Off to google doxador.

I see dachshund too, and the head, how its flat across the top of the head and into the down-ears, sorta going towards a triangle - that looks beagle to me. As do the sweet golden eyes. And I see some terrier fur around the hind-quarters and tail - Jack Russel perhaps. Beagle would also explain the curled tail and the bark sounds like you are describing a beagle howl/bay. The coloring looks lab-like, but could be a black doxie too. The temperament is congruent with those breeds as well :-)

Fun game ;-)

I see dachshund too, and the head, how its flat across the top of the head and into the down-ears, sorta going towards a triangle - that looks beagle to me. As do the sweet golden eyes. And I see some terrier fur around the hind-quarters and tail - Jack Russel perhaps. Beagle would also explain the curled tail and the bark sounds like you are describing a beagle howl/bay. The coloring looks lab-like, but could be a black doxie too. The temperament is congruent with those breeds as well :-)

Fun game ;-)

Which particular breeds does her temperament remind you of?

ETA: re: the hindquarters...when my college girl met her the first time, she wanted to know, "Why does she have fancy mustache on her butt??"

Just the easy going, never snaps, doesn't startle, very tolerant, no aggression, food or otherwise - beagle. Prey-oriented is doxie, active is both, doxies like to burrow, so when you say she'll tuck her nose under something to chew on something, Smart - that could be any of the breeds, but especially Jack Russel, and doxie. Affectionate - beagles. Eager to please - beagles and Jack Russels.

:laugh: She's just adorable!

Just the easy going, never snaps, doesn't startle, very tolerant, no aggression, food or otherwise - beagle. Prey-oriented is doxie, active is both, doxies like to burrow, so when you say she'll tuck her nose under something to chew on something, Smart - that could be any of the breeds, but especially Jack Russel, and doxie. Affectionate - beagles. Eager to please - beagles and Jack Russels.

:laugh: She's just adorable!

My dd has been begging daddy for a beagle. You post makes me want one, too!

From your description and the side view picture, my guess would be Doxie/Beagle mix.  The only part that doesn't really fit those two breeds is that you say she never barks.  In general both of them tend to be pretty darn vocal.  But I've known exceptions.  We had a beagle (now departed and sorely missed) who was one of the quietest dogs I've ever known.

From your description and the side view picture, my guess would be Doxie/Beagle mix.  The only part that doesn't really fit those two breeds is that you say she never barks.  In general both of them tend to be pretty darn vocal.  But I've known exceptions.  We had a beagle (now departed and sorely missed) who was one of the quietest dogs I've ever known.

We have a beagle mix, and he's SO quiet!