Menu

New to this...Questions about online schools

Guest TerraJo

Guest TerraJo

Hello everyone,

Im not sure if I am in the right place, but it seemed like I might be from some of the other posts Ive checked out. First a little background, I have a 10 year old son who is going into 5th grade next year. He has some attention difficulties and has always been a tough one to get to cooperate when it came to doing his school work (Well actually anything that he doesnt find fun). This last year it has gotten really bad. He just (barely) finished 4th grade in a local charter school. They tried to tailor the school curriculum to his needs, but it didnt really help any of the problems we were encountering. I am now trying to research online schools. I do not want to do a true homeschool, I would like him to have a teacher that he can go to if he needs it. (I have two other kids going into the K & 1st grade courses at the charter school this year... :scared: ) i have been looking at two different schools, one seems to be more popular, but the other one seems to have a better program for how my son learns. The first is Laurel Springs. It looks very legit and I have read a lot of positive reviews about it. The other is International Virtual Learning Academy (IVLA). I cannot find as much about this school as the other one. But it says its an accredited CA private school. I just can't find any reviews or anything. I need a curriculum that gives my son a very interactive and fun way of learning. He gets very bored with "read this page answer these questions" which is how some of the online schools seem to be. Even if it is on a computer, Im still in the same boat! The IVLA course, A+ Courseware I think its called, looked a lot more interactive and game like. I let him do some of the demos and he loved it. He wanted to continue going when the lesson was finished. That is unheard of with him and school work! But then I am wary of jumping into that if I can't get more information from people who have actually used the school!  :banghead:

ANYWAY! All of that to ask if anyone on here has had or has a child in either of these courses and how their child liked/disliked them. I really want to make the right decision for my son. Thank you all in advance for any info you can give me! 

Terra 

No one has any input. :( bummer.

There aren't a ton of boardies here who use full online programs. Many do for high school, but much fewer for the younger grades. Sorry. I know we have a couple that I know of who may use full online programs in elementary, but I think the vast majority independently homeschool.

Hoping some others can chime in for you, who may have used the programs.

I used K12 thru my virtual academy when we were first starting. My son hated it. It was a LOT of worksheets. The teachers aren't really available for help. If you a really struggling you could make an apt or email them and they set up a time, but can just chat with them when you had a question. And the attendance and accountability requirements were crazy.

My cousin did Laurel Springs for a couple years (she's a competitive gymnast - in college now, this was when she was 7th and 8th grade I think).  They liked it fine.  She pretty much taught herself.  Teacher support wasn't really there so much and they really didn't need it.  It was expensive.  I've never heard of the other one you mention.

We'll be doing K12 through a virtual school with my oldest son next year.  There are a lot of hoops to jump through, but it's free and still public school so we're trying it.